Author Topic: Cool Flashlight News for Mag Lights  (Read 3348 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Cool Flashlight News for Mag Lights
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »
Was talking to a guy last night about the Glock in his belt and we got around to talking about lights.

He said the strobe function on his weapon light was disorienting enough that the person looking at it couldn't detect the holders movement right away. (He used his kid as a test subject who could be retarded for all I know)

Does this sound legit? All my lights pre-date strobe features, anyone ever tried this and noticed the same thing?

Strobes can really mess you up. That's why the lights on Police cars strobe. A few years ago the was an animated movie that included a character with flashing eyes. The frequency of the strobe effect caused nausea and vomiting in viewers .

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 05:38:30 PM »
Worked outside at night with a light on the top of my truck.  Needed it to get in and out of traffic zone but the contractor asked me to turn it off when I was with his crew.  I noticed it was bad myself!

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 09:45:46 PM »
Strobes can really mess you up. That's why the lights on Police cars strobe. A few years ago the was an animated movie that included a character with flashing eyes. The frequency of the strobe effect caused nausea and vomiting in viewers .

That was a Pokemon cartoon that aired in Tokyo in 1997.  Supposedly kids up to a certain age are more susceptible to photosensitive seizures. That incident sent more than 700 kids to the hospital.

Now for the tinfoil hat...

You all have seen or heard of people recounting their abducted by space aliens stories.  They even made a movie about such an incident and called it " Fire in the Sky" :

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_in_the_sky#section_4

Okay if not space aliens, why not the government?  How long have they known about the stroboscopic effects on the human brain?

One company makes a flashlight called the puke light:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292271,00.html

There was a movie by Michael Crichton in the 1980's called Looker.  People would get hit with a bright flash of light and suffer basically a petit mal seizure or a catatonic state for hours.

That science fiction has been turned into fact.  Somebody got a patent on it according to this link:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2011/04/optical_stun_ra.html

Getting back more on topic... a few years ago the NRA show came to St. Louis.  Blackhawk had a booth area set up.  Inside this area they had erected a black tent.  I went inside the tent and got to experience the strobe feature of their then new Blackhawk Gladius flashlight.  After a few seconds, I got dizzy.  The demo person then went on to say that the strobe also allowed you to close on people.  About 3 seconds later I felt his index finger pressing against my temple.  I didn't even see him
Move from about 3 to 4 feet away.  That part was kinda spooky.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1061
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 12:52:21 PM »

Getting back more on topic... a few years ago the NRA show came to St. Louis.  Blackhawk had a booth area set up.  Inside this area they had erected a black tent.  I went inside the tent and got to experience the strobe feature of their then new Blackhawk Gladius flashlight.  After a few seconds, I got dizzy.  The demo person then went on to say that the strobe also allowed you to close on people.  About 3 seconds later I felt his index finger pressing against my temple.  I didn't even see him
Move from about 3 to 4 feet away.  That part was kinda spooky.

Yeah.... had a cop friend show me that one too....... I could hear him moving about, but had no idea of distance or anything until he touched me in the center of my chest. I was too focused on trying to keep oriented and failed miserably at it.
I don't remember the brand of light, though.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk