Author Topic: SAAMI Is A Crock !  (Read 14334 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1072
Re: SAAMI Is A Crock !
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2018, 12:35:20 PM »
Bill, those Remingtons were some knuckle-busters in a Super Blackhawk with the square-back trigger guard.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

gemihur

• wildcatter & shootist
  • Forum Member
  • I shoot, therefore I am.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2019, 07:11:32 AM »
They (manufacturers) have put much more merit in the recommendations of their legal departments, and why not, with the suit happy society that we've become.
My concern would be modern commercially manufactured loads that exceeded SAAMI pressures.
I haven't fired a store-bought bullet in over 20 yrs. (besides 22LR).
I shoot contenders and I shoot a lot of wildcats. I have to load my own for about 60% of my barrels and I want to know how much stress my frame goes through when I shoot all my rounds.

If shooting a large caliber,
Use two hands!
Thanks,
Jimmy

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2019, 06:03:33 AM »
That's my concern too.  Getting commercial rounds that are way too hot.

It's a shame I still don't have a place or time to reload.  I think you gotta have a good time loading wildcat rounds.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2019, 06:54:20 AM »
..... My concern would be modern commercially manufactured loads that exceeded SAAMI pressures.

That's my concern too.  Getting commercial rounds that are way too hot.

I can all but guarantee you that is NEVER going to happen. Not with the way today's commercial ammunition is being watered down across the board. As I mentioned in previous posts, "+P" rated ammo today has a lower pressure curve than standard loads in the same caliber did back in the 60's.

Yes, there is always the chance that a manufacturing mistake could happen, in regard to accidently producing over pressure loads. But even then, if it does there is usually an immediate recall issued, giving caliber, lot numbers, dates of production, etc.

And today with the Internet and social media being what they are, the word gets out quickly if a loading error is made. Usually before any damage is done. Years back they published such recalls in gun rags like the American Rifleman, Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, etc. So the stuff could be out there for months before the public knew about it.

But as far as factory ammunition being produced today, there is nothing that is being loaded to the red line anymore. Even the stuff coming from outfits like Garrett and Cor-Bon is weak in comparison to what once was out there from the major manufacturers like Winchester, Federal, Weatherby, and Remington.

For example, I just saw a while back that Super Vel is back producing ammunition again. This after decades of absence. I still have some older Super Vel ammo that was produced by Lee Juras back in the early 70's. As soon as I can get some of this new stuff, I'm going to run a comparison evaluation between the 2. Caliber by caliber.

I can all but guarantee you the new stuff is going to shoot like target loads, when compared to what was produced back in the day. I'll report on it as soon as I get some of it. From what I've seen thus far, the stuff is overpriced as hell. So we'll see. 

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2019, 07:56:34 AM »
I bought hot commercial rounds once maybe twice.  I never check the internet for recalls so the cases had to tell me there was a problem...

But I think you are right.  The loads have gotten cooler over time. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 03:59:40 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk