Author Topic: Consider this #9: less-lethal defensive options  (Read 8614 times)

Arvinator

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Consider this #9: less-lethal defensive options
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 07:36:10 PM »
I carry less - lethal options when away from the house, normally a can of OC spray. I don't plan on using it to fend of an attacker with ANY kind of weapon, be a knife, club, hammer, etc.  I only plan on using it to prevent or end a bare handed assault by one assailant. If I face multiple attackers, or any attackers with any kind of weapon, then I should plan on defending my life with possibly using deadly force due to the attackers making it that way for me.
In home use of less than lethal is not smart in my opinion. When you are attacked in your home, you are facing a determined attacker with no remorse, consideration, or concern for your home and/or loved ones. Therefore, I only consider a firearm or firearms in my home defense option outside of locks, a fence, my dogs, etc.

dustinb50

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 09:28:20 AM »
When I first went through the Instructor Course, I was the only one in the group of 20 or so that got shot, it was voluntary. (video here, lots of bad language:  http://swatmag.com/misc/mov/Taser.MPG )

My favorite part of this video: at the beginning Rob: (looks and dude to his left and says) "...your more nervous than I am..."

That was great!

-Dustin

Robin

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 09:36:35 PM »
When I first went through the Instructor Course, I was the only one in the group of 20 or so that got shot, it was voluntary. I know most instructors require anyone carrying the device to "feel" the effects.
That sounds like a double standard. No fair. :)

Personally, I think anyone who carries it should be shot with it. OR, at least get a full 5 seconds with the probes appropriately attached.
My local department requires any officer who wants to carry a Taser on duty has to take the ride first. Officers can choose duration and whether it's via probes or clips. Most of the departments in my area have a similar policy.

This usually means 1-2 seconds with the probes taped to the person (or multiple people holding hands  ::) ) or in a pocket and a sock.
Very few instructors actually shoot students with the probes. Even at the instructor level.
Most of our officers elect clips but a few have requested probes. Even clips leave a burn scar through clothing.

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 06:53:30 AM »
Most of our officers elect clips but a few have requested probes. Even clips leave a burn scar through clothing.

In this respect, I understand that the clipping is worse, as the current is arcing through the clothing, and thereby burning the skin.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk