Author Topic: ammo recommendations for glock 30  (Read 13521 times)

grizdiesel

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ammo recommendations for glock 30
« on: February 07, 2009, 11:06:41 PM »
I'll be purchasing a glock 30 in the next few weeks and was wondering what .45ACP factory loads would work best with the 30's short barrel.  I've always heard that lighter, faster loads work better with shorter-barreled handguns, but I haven't found anything to confirm or refute this.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1134
Re: ammo recommendations for glock 30
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 02:35:06 AM »
CORBON 160 GR. DPX is made especially for short barrels. It's 1050 fps & 392 ft/lbs from a 3" barrel.  8)
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

judgeandjury

• First Responder
  • Forum Member
    • TaurusArmed
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 03:12:48 PM »
The Cor-Bon DPX is an excellent load for the G30.

I have also found the following two loads produce superior results from the 3.78" barrel of the G30:

1.  Speer Gold Dot 200 grain +P
2.  Cor-Bon 165 grain Pow R Ball
"Regardless of caliber, velocity, or design a bullet can never do its part until you first do yours"

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 04:48:55 PM »
I recommend Winchester's 230 gr. SXT round. I shoot the standard load in my G30, but if you want some extra power go with the +P variation in the same bullet weight.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 05:11:59 PM »
speer gold dot also makes a short barrel version of thier ammo.  I've always like the 230 gr Gold dot in a 1911 as it was not +p.  My shot to shot times were alot faster using it.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:47:23 PM »

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 05:30:40 PM »
May be apples and oranges, but I fired Hornady Tap (230 gr +P) in my Nite Hawg and I saw something I have  never seen before.  A smokestack jam with a twist - an entire cartridge was involved. Apparently the next round to feed decided to bail on me.

Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

grizdiesel

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 10:09:31 PM »
Generally speaking, how much does a standard 230 gr. .45acp load lose when fired from a 3" barrel as opposed to a 5" barrel?  All the ballistic info for .45acp loads that I can find are for loads fired from a 5" barrelled pistol.  I'm just curious to know what's given up in shorter-barrelled pistols using standard 230 gr. loads.

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 07:26:09 PM »
Found this a while back, from a good discussion on the 1911 forum, posted by Pat-inCO:

Remington "Green Box" 230Gr ball (these are all Kimber SIS) Chron=CEDM@10'
5" - 838fps
4" - 788fps
3" - 748fps

Hand loads: 7.5Gr Unique under a 185Gr Nosler HP (same guns, same day as above)
5" - 958fps
4" - 891fps
3" - 831fps

Sunshine, humidity below 30% and temperature about 75 degrees. YMMV.

The full discussion here, including a calculation that the approx 100 ft/sec drop in velocity from 5" to 3" also dropped the recoil energy by about 20% : http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=1937463
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

SigShooter

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 08:51:16 PM »
May be apples and oranges, but I fired Hornady Tap (230 gr +P) in my Nite Hawg and I saw something I have  never seen before.  A smokestack jam with a twist - an entire cartridge was involved. Apparently the next round to feed decided to bail on me.

I've never heard that one before. Sounds like a bad magazine. Did you have any problems with the magazine involved after this incident, or did you just have this one malfunction once?

Grizdiesel, what ever you pick out, function test it so you can be certain it will work. Yes, we're talking about a Glock, but function testing is a great excuse to shoot high proformance ammo in large quantities and in one or two range sessions, if you need one.
From my cold dead hands...to my next of kin to further our rights.

Never to the government. They can buy their own.

rojawe

• Top Forum Member
  • To the Republic for which it stands One Nation
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 06:38:22 AM »
I have to ask at the distance your working with the 45 would the barrel length bother anything, Up close and personal with a encounter with a BG the 45 should work   under 7 yards from what I read. 
EMPLOYERS STOP THE FLOOD E-VERIFY WORKS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk