Author Topic: help with a Rossi 461/462  (Read 4770 times)

BML325

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
help with a Rossi 461/462
« on: March 16, 2009, 10:59:21 AM »
Can someone with a Rossi 461/462 take the grip off and measure the hammer spring length please.....?

I lost my spring while "gunsmithing" at 1am in the garage and can not find it. I had read on another board a guy bought a punch of wolf springs and tried them till he found one that fit, but he did not say what spring he finally used.

So I am hoping that I can get the measurement from someone and then try to find a replacement spring somewhere, since I can't find any "Rossi" springs out there factory or after market.

Thanks

tombogan03884

Re: help with a Rossi 461/462
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:56:03 PM »
I can't help with the spring. But for future reference, some one posted a suggestion in one of the AR threads about working on your firearms inside a trash bag. That way when (not if) springs go pinging into space, they are contained in the bag instead of disappearing or hitting you in the eye.
Another thing , have your wife come come into the garage, after hours of searching on my hands and knees , my ex would spot the part I was looking for from 30 feet through a partially open door.  ???

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1072
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 03:58:30 PM »
You could call Wolff or check here   http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

BML325

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 06:05:32 PM »
I e-mailed wolf when I bought the gun a few months ago asking about a reduced power spring and they said they had nothing specifically.

Green Mountain Gringo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 04:34:44 AM »
I have a Rossi 462 but not sure I can help you with the info you need.  Tell me what you want me to check and I'll try.

I have a question for YOU however....if you read my prior thread on my 462 malfunctioning you know that the firing pin on my hammer has some play to it.  It was like this when I purchased it and has the occasional misfire that is becoming more frequent.

Does the pin on your hammer have play in it if you wiggle it (up and down play) or is it secured?

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:15:22 AM »

BML325

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 10:44:35 AM »
Yes, my firing pin has play to it also, up and down, no side to side. I have not had any miss fires yet that I reemmber, maybe one but I kept pulling the trigger till it fired. Maybe the firing pin has a small bend in it?

I have shot a couple hundred 38's through it and a hundred or so 357s through it with out issue. I have read on other boards of the firing pin breaking, but not much about misfires. For the last month or so I have also been dry firing with snap caps several times per week so that has been another several hundred trigger pulls.

To measure the hammer spring all you do is remove the one grip screw adn one side of the grip, once that one side of the grip is off you will see in the handle a spring on a guide rod. Just use a caliper if you have one or a ruller and guestimate the length.

Thanks.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1072
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 03:55:24 PM »
I e-mailed wolf when I bought the gun a few months ago asking about a reduced power spring and they said they had nothing specifically.

Sorry they said they couldn't help. I was thinking more along the lines of their revolver hammer spring 'grab bag'. It has something like 35 different size springs for about $20.
You might call either the Midway or Brownells Technical help lines and talk to a gunsmith. There may be springs from other similar sized revolvers that would work.

Good Luck.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Green Mountain Gringo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 04:58:39 PM »
Maybe these pics will help.

BML325

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 08:02:51 PM »
Thanks Greenmountain, that's what I needed, it looks like around an inch and a half.

As far as the springs, I saw that they have some for the Taurus 85 which I believe is similar. I am going to research and then order several springs and try them out.

Thanks guys......

wrangler

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 06:22:55 PM »
B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk