Author Topic: Video - Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124 gr +P  (Read 2889 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Video - Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124 gr +P
« on: July 29, 2009, 08:57:39 AM »
Since you guys liked the 147 gr video so much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcwaMwB13Gg&feature=related
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Video - Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124 gr +P
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 12:40:22 PM »
I prefer the lighter, faster 9mm rounds. They are my personal choice for carry. Penetration is adequate and expansion is good. I would like to always have a .357 magnum or a .45 acp, but I compromise for ease of concealment.

I have not tried the Speer. I carry Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr, Federal Hydra-Shok in 124 gr and I have some Federal Hydra-Shok LEO in 115 gr +P+. I also carry RBCD frangible 9 mm.

Will have to look into the Gold Dots, like the idea of bonded.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 12:54:50 PM »
Very nice round. Never bought Speer but may have to consider it the next time I am looking at ammo. I would like to see how the Hornady TAP works in the same type of setting and compare.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 12:55:41 PM »
Right now I have 147 gr TAP in my Glocks, but I agree with the Kid. If you look at the ballistic charts, the lighter round delivers more energy then 147 gr....... There is an inflection point where once you get too light of a round it decreases energy, but the 124 gr seems to be the sweet spot.

It is very important with the lighter rounds that they are BONDED. If they are not, you stand a greater chance of having separation of the jacket and core and you really lose a great deal of energy  
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1134
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 01:21:08 PM »
It looked perfectly expanded but gold dots do that most of the time. But I wasn't expecting the expansion to be OVER 100%. 
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:37:00 AM »

JSC3ATLCSO

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 03:32:59 PM »
I'm a gold dot fan from my Sheriff's office days.  Best expansion and weight retention of all of the bonded hollow point rounds

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 06:57:56 PM »
Speer is a top notch SD round, my Walther PPK/S, Kel-Tec P3AT, and FN9 all work with Speer, never an issue.

The prices are getting ridiculous, but for carry it is a great round.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 03:57:58 PM »
Expansion to 3/4", 13" penetration...  I have to admit I have new found respect for 9mm!  Excellent test IMO!  My mother inlaw's little S&W 9C holds 12 rounds.  Maybe not such a bad gun after all!

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 07:51:51 PM »
Nice link ericire..  Speer Gold Dot is one of the very best out there period.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk