Author Topic: Darn strawberry sellers...  (Read 16668 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Darn strawberry sellers...
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 12:34:45 PM »
Here's one that happened at my place yesterday just about at dusk.

My wife was on the front porch in a rocking chair talking on the phone to her sister. A pickup pulled about halfway up our main driveway and stopped about a 100' from the house. A "scraggly-lookin' guy" (wife's description) gets out and asks if he can 'borrow some gas'. She told him we didn't have any (not a lie, as we just used the last of it to top off the ATV....not that we owed him an explanation).

After she tells him we didn't have any, he asks her if her husband is home (this is the part that got me). She said yes, let me get him. And, as she backs in through the front door, she calls out to me (I was down in the Den, but could see her at the door) the guy gets in the truck and backs out and leaves.

I asked her questions about his appearance and how he acted. She said he acted 'funny....nervous'.

I sat out on the porch for a while and could hear something going on down the road, but out of sight. I got to wondering why he needed gas if he was able to drive off in his truck. I got on our golf cart (very quiet engine) and rode out to the edge of the property so that I could see down the road. It was then that I saw a second vehicle about a 1/4 mile away that was 'apparently disabled' and they were messing around with it. Finally all of the people (3 or 4, couldn't tell from the distance and poor light conditions) got into the guy's truck and left, leaving the second truck sitting in a neighbors driveway.

Needless to say, my hopeless insomnia was not aided by the event, and not much sleeping was done (looking out at every sound).

I'll be even more wary than normal (even for me) for a good while, since home invasion is one of the top crimes in our region.

My reccomendation is tocall thes heriff and tell them exactly what you said here. One, they may be wanted for something.
Two, if they're not, your ass is covered if they they pay a 3am visit.After all, the SD works for you and you might as well get your moneys worth.
FQ13

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1072
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 12:48:44 PM »
My reccomendation is tocall thes heriff and tell them exactly what you said here. One, they may be wanted for something.
Two, if they're not, your ass is covered if they they pay a 3am visit.After all, the SD works for you and you might as well get your moneys worth.
FQ13

I should have put it in the previous post:

I talked to a couple of friends that are "heriff" deputies (  ;D  ;D ) and they noted it in their log book, and also said they would make a few extra rounds out in our area.

You make a good point ther, FQ........ things that ordinarily would be something that we would brush off needs to be scrutinized more closely than it did years ago. To many things have changed nowadays to just forget about it.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 12:49:23 PM »
garage doors are always a weak point.  depending on whats there(IE i need a pic), I can give you several options on securing the door.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 01:36:55 PM »
garage doors are always a weak point.  depending on whats there(IE i need a pic), I can give you several options on securing the door.

Maybe you could throw out a few general examples TAB, kind of like you did a while back on house doors.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 01:45:18 PM »
Maybe you could throw out a few general examples TAB, kind of like you did a while back on house doors.
I agree with Tom here. I am getting to the point where I need to replace mine as it goes off the track about 2/3 of the way up. There is nothing wrong with the track, motor or door, I just put it down to age (18 years and it owes me nothing). If I replace it I do want to put sercurity/storm resistance high on the list. Any advice would be appreciatd.
Thanks
FQ13 

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 06:15:49 PM »

tfr270

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2009, 10:31:19 AM »
My doors are all good now. Replaced the flimsy front door set with a set of heavy fir doors. The garage side door was already a steel door and the roll up is a new steel door as well. It will take a pretty determined bad guy to get it. I've also lit the perimeter up with new solar powered motion sensor lights, and so have my neighbors. The tweakers across the street moved on....I think the constant visits from code enforcement and PD (gee, I wonder who was calling them?) wore them down. Got the neighbors semi-organized for a watch. Got the gates up in the courtyard and we let the Ridgeback patrol out there...well, sleep in the sun anyway...but his mere presence gives people pause when they see him. They don't want to wake the sleeping giant. I think the place looks like a harder target now.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2009, 11:50:27 AM »
. I think the place looks like a harder target now.

Thats the key. Crooks are by nature lazy. Why bother with the place with the lights, the alarm signs and the dog when you can go down the block and find the same type house that doesn't have those?
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk