Author Topic: Self Defense Handgun Maintenance  (Read 3475 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 907
Self Defense Handgun Maintenance
« on: November 25, 2009, 10:15:37 PM »
Some of the most important lessons are the ones we forget, but once in a while someone reminds us.  Tonight I was watching American Guardian by NRA, and the Sheriff's Tip by Sheriff Wilson was on maintaining your self defense weapon.

He started with the obvious of a good and complete cleaning and light lube after every trip to the range.  Do it right away, and don't wait a day or two.  Then he brought up his maintenance plan:  If he has not shot a gun in 30 days he cleans it and lightly lubes it.  He also rotates his magazines.  At the thirty day point he will remove the magazine and unload it, and he will replace it with one that has "been resting."

This is nothing new to me.  I've been taught much of this over the years that I have been exposed to guns, and in my family that is almost all my life.  However, I have gotten sloppy on the maintenance of the daily carry guns.  My 1911 and j frame have not been shot in over two months, and outside of going on and off my body they have received no attention.  Oooooops!  I am glad I saw this episode, because here in the great white north we are coming into the time when these guns will be exposed to the extreme temperature changes that leads to condensation.

May be good reminder to you or not, but since it made me think I thought I would share.

Our family used to gather at Grandpa and Grandma's every Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.  Every one of those gatherings turned into a plinking party and hunting walk through the groves.  This all brought about an evening of sitting around the fireplace with Grandpa and the uncles cleaning guns and listening to stories.  I think some of that may happen again tomorrow  ;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Self Defense Handgun Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 02:21:37 PM »
m58, give Brian Enos' "Slide Glide" for sale thru his site or Dillon.  There are 2 different grades,,,one for regular semis and another for CCW semis.  This stuff is formulated to stay put on the rails and etc.  Works well.  Not much use in revos as far as I can tell.  Just a light once over with a silicone or other type of cleaning cloth should be OK unless something gets totally soaked.  Good advise on the mags, but I have heard stories of mags loaded for years functioning without a single problem.

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 11:09:18 AM »
All sound advice. Since I will rotate my carry pistol, I always rotate magazines, never store them "fully loaded", example, 15rd mag gets 10rds.

Except fro my leetle P3AT, which in the balmy S. Florida weather, gets carried the most. Twice a week, strip, light lube and clean, inspect for "hairballs & lint" as it's a pocket carry in a DeSantis holster.

Strip the magazine, clean inside and out. And rotate ammo. Target ammo is one thing to store for a while, but for my SD ammo that has been in a magazine for some time, I will just shoot it at the range and keep fresh rounds for carry.

It's probably a little much as premium SD ammo, is just that. However, as my NC instructor said:

Old SD ammo? Willing to bet your life on it?

Guns are mechanical tools like any other, they require maint,....now fondling is allowed, and encouraged, especially with firearms maint. ::)
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 01:19:31 PM »
m58, give Brian Enos' "Slide Glide" for sale thru his site or Dillon.  There are 2 different grades,,,one for regular semis and another for CCW semis.  This stuff is formulated to stay put on the rails and etc.  Works well.  Not much use in revos as far as I can tell.  Just a light once over with a silicone or other type of cleaning cloth should be OK unless something gets totally soaked.  Good advise on the mags, but I have heard stories of mags loaded for years functioning without a single problem.

FWIW

Richard

I use Slide Glide on my semi autos.  It actually comes in three grades, and I use the lightest.  I called Brian about it, because of the temp ranges he gives in the ads.  He started by saying that neither of the weights would work in our cold, then he brought up the third or lightest.  I've never had an issue in even twenty below, and it stays put and works well in 100+ in SD and Omaha summers.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 04:27:15 PM »
I've never had an issue in even twenty below

:o :o :o

Who would want to carjack or rob someone when its that freakin cold????,

Oh, wait a minute, I'm having a "Fargo" movie flashback... ::)

Too darn cold up there in the Great White North, especially Minn.

I would think light oil with almost no viscosity would be the only thing that would work in that cold.

Geez...

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:02:16 AM »

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 06:42:11 AM »
Thanks, didn't know about the 3rd grade of SG.  Probably wouldn't need it here in NE OHIO cause it only gets below 0 once and a while and I try veeeeeeery hard to stay inside when it does!!!!!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 08:04:39 AM »
I had the Slide Glide out last night/this morning ... damn insomnia!

It is actually labeled Slide Glide Light  Cold weather.

When I bought it about three years ago I learned of this weight by talking to Brian on the phone, and it was not on his list.  I think it is now, but I haven't been on his site for a while.  If it isn't there just give him a call.  One of the things I've learned is these guys are all gun guys and willing to talk ... One small note though ... If you live in Central or Eastern zones, don't call Angus Hobdel too early ... like before noon  :o

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 08:07:32 AM »
I had the Slide Glide out last night/this morning ... damn insomnia!

It is actually labeled Slide Glide Light  Cold weather.

When I bought it about three years ago I learned of this weight by talking to Brian on the phone, and it was not on his list.  I think it is now, but I haven't been on his site for a while.  If it isn't there just give him a call.  One of the things I've learned is these guys are all gun guys and willing to talk ... One small note though ... If you live in Central or Eastern zones, don't call Angus Hobdel too early ... like before noon  :o

Yes, it's on the site.  I just ordered the combo pack of one tube, one tub and a few cheapo brushes, aka flux brush for copper pipe...great deal, a few bucks off buying the combo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk