Author Topic: Alternating FMJ/JHP magazine load  (Read 11997 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 601
Re: Alternating FMJ/JHP magazine load
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 04:24:50 PM »
It can exist, but shooting through a barrier is probably not the most likely self-defense scenario (did you say you were LEO with a different need?).  An idiot chasing you down with a car, yes...so if you have reason to think that would happen then OK.  What I am saying is that if someone is behind a barrier there maybe a decent chance that you can escape/avoid the situation...maybe not, but if you can escape and don't attempt to you might find yourself in quite the legal tangle (assuming you are not law enforcement).

At home I don't want to shoot through walls...because I don't want to hit one of my children.  I go with flextip ammo that will break apart....it also has more of an immediate energy dumping shock to aid in stopping the threat.  I had an AR for inside home defense before it was cool.

Unless you have something else in mind, a more specific need, most shootings are face to face and very close.  Therefore, the greatest likelihood is no barrier.  I've had the need for my weapon (or didn't have one and wanted one because there was a very big one pointed at me) about a half-dozen times....no barrier was present in any of those situations.

For myself, I ponder these two things:

First, it's your deal, but before using a fmj round to shoot through a barrier you might want to consider the legalities and decide to safely exit the conflict if you and anyone in your legal protection (immediate family member, etc.) can leave safely.  If it's not safe, don't leave.

Second consider what you had in mind for a barrier.  If you are at home a JHP will fly right through sheetrock...consider the difference between cover and concealment.  A "barrier" might be either...what did you have in mind?  If the bad guy is using concealment the JHP should do quite well.

For carry I use CorBon DPX, Hornady Critical Defense or Federal EFMJ (works really well in 45 ACP, expands to .75" flower petal).  If you are LE or you are concerned about body armor this may not be the best plan.  For me, I'll stick with the above and I will shoot until the threat stops and if I am concerned about body armor will aim below the belly button which, my friends back from the sand box tell me, works quite well.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 09:33:43 PM »
I absolutely agree with Rastus. We all have decisions to make in accordance with our personal firearm/s and ammunition. I would prefer the best of the rest in dependability and accuracy, a reason I choose Hornady Ammunition, but how it will all perform with the firearm I may be carrying at the moment which may differ from my Glock.

If you are carrying a .45 ACP, ball rounds will achive the desired effect on a undesirable, just as a hollow point will. I prefer to carry a .45 ACP Glock, no model necessary with that round and not worry about it.

LoveMyXds

• cogito ergo boom
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 09:55:47 PM »
What are the real odds of having to rely on barrier penetration in a self defense situation? Negligible in my book.... Car glass doesn't affect combat accuracy when you shoot OUT of it much.... Much more likely scenario than HAVING to shoot someone driving AWAY from a situation....

Better to find either ammunition that feeds reliably, have the gun worked on so it feeds you choice of ammo reliably, or get a gun that digests everything reliably.... Or buy a Springfield XD and load Cor-Bon DPX's and have the best of both worlds, good penetration, 100 percent feeding, and incredible expansion.... JMHO....

Cheers,
Scottt
"Stripping motivated people of their dignity and rubbing their noses in it is a very bad idea."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk