Author Topic: Bayonet tactics for home???  (Read 7752 times)

kilopaparomeo

• Top Forum Member
  • My own private purgatory...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bayonet tactics for home???
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 11:11:43 AM »
As anachronistic as it sounds, there seems to be the occasional application for a bayonet charge in modern fighting...if for no other reason than to convince your opponent that you are stark, raving mad...

From "The Sun" online back in 2004...

OUTNUMBERED British soldiers killed 35 Iraqi attackers in the Army’s first bayonet charge since the Falklands War 22 years ago.
The fearless Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders stormed rebel positions after being ambushed and pinned down.

Despite being outnumbered five to one, they suffered only three minor wounds in the hand-to-hand fighting near the city of Amara.

The battle erupted after Land Rovers carrying 20 Argylls came under attack on a highway.

After radioing for back-up, they fixed bayonets and charged at 100 rebels using tactics learned in drills.

Charge ... tactics from drills
When the fighting ended bodies lay all over the highway ? and more were floating in a nearby river. Nine rebels were captured.

An Army spokesman said: “This was an intense engagement.”

The last bayonet charge was by the Scots Guards and the Paras against Argentinian positions.

NRA Endowment Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Ultima Ratio Civis - "The last method of a citizen"

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 11:47:37 AM »
When I was given bayonet training in basic, I felt pretty sure that the classes on how to defend against a bayonet attack empty handed would do me more good than how to attack using one.

If I am ever the subject of a home invasion, I hope it is by a half dozen guys with bayonets on empty rifles.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 11:53:42 AM »
When I went to boot camp I already had some ideas about what "bayonet fighting" involved (namely, the "tire" was trying to stick you back,was moving, etc. ) I think my training left my fellows confident and able to follow what was going on.
Able to survive ? Not so much.

LittleRed

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 11:01:02 PM »
If you're using a rifle indoors, maneuverability is already an issue. A bayonet makes it worse.

I am going way out on a limb here, but the only advantage I can think of might be that it could help in weapon retention. If someone were to try to grab your rifle from the side, getting a hold of a sharp blade may encourage them to let go. However, there's probably better tactics to use so you can avoid that altogether.

If your using a rifle for home defense and the problem persists, you probably have a situation that a bayonet won't solve anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk