Author Topic: 300 Blackout  (Read 15073 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 467
Re: 300 Blackout
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 12:11:32 PM »
Have you met Mr. Murphy and discussed his law?

I operate with the understanding that Murphy was an optimist.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 05:54:48 PM »
Outside of the obvious ballistics and the potential for a suppressor what I like the best is the fact that it uses standard AR mags (I've made all my 300aac mags foliage p-mags with a thin red stripe on them) and standard AR/M16 bolt and bolt carrier. No need to stock extra bolts in a different caliber, I can throw any BCG I have in and keep going. A guy I shoot with has done some testing and his blackout with a 10.5" barrel is running through the chrono at almost the same exact speed with the Remington 150gr factory load as most of the 147gr stuff he's putting through a 16" AK. that makes me want to SBR a blackout very soon.

I did some research after reading this, and that is impressive - same AR everything except the barrel. A new .30 barrel for the  .300 aac blackout runs from $175 (CMMG) to $450 (Barrett). LOTS cheaper than going the 6.8 Rem SPC route. Brass is hugely cheaper than for the 6.8 - Midway is selling 500 pieces for $120 or $.24 each. Haven't looked into dies, but ammo seems to run $1 a round, sadly about normal for any non-5.56 caliber.

Looks like a very interesting alternative caliber.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1072
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 06:35:33 PM »
A good friend has just completed all the paperwork, insurance, and various other requirements to load and sell ammo. The Blackout is one he is looking into doing (along with custom exotics and the standard stuff). When he gets up and running, I'll post his prices and such.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 09:28:55 PM »
I did some research after reading this, and that is impressive - same AR everything except the barrel. A new .30 barrel for the  .300 aac blackout runs from $175 (CMMG) to $450 (Barrett). LOTS cheaper than going the 6.8 Rem SPC route. Brass is hugely cheaper than for the 6.8 - Midway is selling 500 pieces for $120 or $.24 each. Haven't looked into dies, but ammo seems to run $1 a round, sadly about normal for any non-5.56 caliber.

Looks like a very interesting alternative caliber.

I've been paying an average of .80 a round but have found it from time to time for around .60. I paid an average of .65 for my Grendel ammo so it's not much different. I've got the 16" AR Stoner barrel from Midway that was right at $200 but I bought a couple other things and used one of the $25 off a $250 purchase coupons. I really feel like the blackout will take off since it makes so much sense and is such an easy swap and because unlike Alexander Arms who's tried to keep Grendel as proprietary as possible AAC seems to want to see blackout grow and become widely accepted even if it costs them some money to do it.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 04:14:57 AM »
I've been paying an average of .80 a round but have found it from time to time for around .60. I paid an average of .65 for my Grendel ammo so it's not much different. I've got the 16" AR Stoner barrel from Midway that was right at $200 but I bought a couple other things and used one of the $25 off a $250 purchase coupons. I really feel like the blackout will take off since it makes so much sense and is such an easy swap and because unlike Alexander Arms who's tried to keep Grendel as proprietary as possible AAC seems to want to see blackout grow and become widely accepted even if it costs them some money to do it.

Ammo - I was looking at single boxes of 20, after I posted I saw bulk .300 was below $1 a round.

I hear you on the Grendel - I never even considered it for that reason alone. And I don't think I was the only one to take a pass for that reason.

One of the things I read was that it is advised that you get an adjustable gas block to handle the sub-sonic/super-sonic/suppressed mix of ammo you can buy. Did you go this route, and if so, which gas block did you get?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 10:04:47 PM »

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 11:31:25 AM »
Ammo - I was looking at single boxes of 20, after I posted I saw bulk .300 was below $1 a round.

I hear you on the Grendel - I never even considered it for that reason alone. And I don't think I was the only one to take a pass for that reason.

One of the things I read was that it is advised that you get an adjustable gas block to handle the sub-sonic/super-sonic/suppressed mix of ammo you can buy. Did you go this route, and if so, which gas block did you get?
I didn't do it for my 16" barrel and haven't had any issues although I've shot very little subsonic in it. I know if you use a suppressor and subsonic ammo it's pretty necessary. On the 10.5" barrel, when I build it, I plan on using the Noveske Switchblock. I've already got it on my diplomat barrel anyway so I won't have to buy another since I'm swapping that rifle out but even if I did have to buy another that would be the one. If I'm running a suppressed direct impingement rifle of any caliber it will have a switchblock on it. I've heard good things about the blackout and piston systems but I've never tried one. What I'd really love to see is someone make a 300 blackout barrel for my MSAR-STG556 but considering MSAR rifles aren't being made anymore I won't hold my breath. They make a 6.8 and 7.62X39 barrel for it but I doubt anyone is making new barrels although I know a lot of people have contacted Rat Worx (they do all MSAR warranty work now) about doing a run of them.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk