Author Topic: Speaking of cleaning guns ...  (Read 3713 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 907
Speaking of cleaning guns ...
« on: February 19, 2012, 01:23:50 PM »
I made a comment on that on another thread.  I did clean one of my bullseye guns earlier this week.  My Mark III was sticking.  The external lube on .22lr was gumming up the bolt after a mere 12k or 15k shots - Imagine that.

I pulled the main spring system out the back, I pulled the bolt out, and I popped the upper receiver off.  I cleaned it all up nice and pretty, and did a light lube job.  I put it back together, and it worked  :o  Well, it worked except the bolt lock does not engage on an empty magazine.  I can put it on manually, but it does not automatically go on.

What did I do wrong?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1072
Re: Speaking of cleaning guns ...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 01:25:21 PM »
Wish I could help ya, pal.....sadly, I have no experience with the Ruger .22's.  :(  :(
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

rojawe

• Top Forum Member
  • To the Republic for which it stands One Nation
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 07:00:21 PM »
Go to youtube and look how to tear it down and it may help, they have thousands of videos showing how to on guns ;D
EMPLOYERS STOP THE FLOOD E-VERIFY WORKS

sledgemeister

• Top Forum Member
  • Democrat Sheeples
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 06:55:01 AM »
Did you sort this issue out?

If so was it the bolt stop plunger spring being broken/missed out?
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Solomon Short

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »
I have not remedied the problem yet.  The gun shoots fine, and in sixty magazines since the last cleaning the bolt has locked back about four times.  The gun has been shooting so well otherwise that I don't want to mess with it. 

I have reached a level that I am shooting at Distinguished Expert level.  You know the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Sure,t he bolt does not lock back on an empty magazine.  But, I count my shots, and this is not a danger issue.

If all goes well I will earn the Distinguished Expert with this gun and be finished with this season's league on April 25th.  After that I will strip it to the frame for a major cleaning.  I'm even thinking of upgrading to a Volquartzen trigger as a reward  ;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:14:14 PM »

sledgemeister

• Top Forum Member
  • Democrat Sheeples
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 07:09:20 PM »
I have not remedied the problem yet.  The gun shoots fine, and in sixty magazines since the last cleaning the bolt has locked back about four times.  The gun has been shooting so well otherwise that I don't want to mess with it. 

I have reached a level that I am shooting at Distinguished Expert level.  You know the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Sure,t he bolt does not lock back on an empty magazine.  But, I count my shots, and this is not a danger issue.

If all goes well I will earn the Distinguished Expert with this gun and be finished with this season's league on April 25th.  After that I will strip it to the frame for a major cleaning.  I'm even thinking of upgrading to a Volquartzen trigger as a reward  ;D

Will be interesting to find out the issue/s.
And do get yourself a Volq Accurizing kit they surely do make a difference, I popped one in to my Mark 3 pretty much a month after I got it also put in a spring loaded mag ejector, man do they work great, they throw the mags clear in quick fashion.
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Solomon Short

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 08:53:37 PM »
I am running into issues with FTE's on my Ruger Mark III. Cleaned the ejecter numerous times. Still having issues and ready to throw it out. Saw comments about the Loaded Chamber Indicator causing problems. It has all been cleaned out.  ???

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1134
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 02:54:43 PM »
Failure to eject could also be a problem with the extractor.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 03:32:02 PM »
My initial problem was completely due to the bolt being sticking and slowing the action down.  It caused stove piping and the like.  Now that it is clean it will bounce spent brass of the barrel of the next shooter on the line.  Consistent three feet in the air at same level or six feet to the spot they hit the floor shot after shot.

Pecos Bill

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 04:07:57 PM »
I've read this thread with some interest and I have a question. m58 when you stripped the gun and reassembled it did you by chance have reference to the manual? I'm given to understand the Mk.IIIs can be tricky to reassemble. No disrespect intended just asking. I know if you did you've lost all your manly "ata boys" but what the heck.   ;D ;D ;D

Pecos
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress, but I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk