Author Topic: Thoughts on Ranger T Subsonic  (Read 3328 times)

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Thoughts on Ranger T Subsonic
« on: September 15, 2012, 10:43:17 AM »
As part of a trade deal I got 100 rounds of 180gr 40s&w Wichester Ranger T. RA40t
From what I'm seeing it seems that this is classified as subsonic. Is that correct?  Has anyone had any working experience with this loading? I've worked with Winchester very rarely outside of the PDX1 line.
As a carry round for a G23 any thoughts? Before I go shell out a bunch of money on Gold Dot or Critical defense. I'd hate no to take advantage of 100 rounds of quality ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Thoughts on Ranger T Subsonic
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:53:30 AM »
Well to REALLY take advantage of it you need a supressor, or an oil filter.... ;D.
FQ13

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 10:57:05 AM »
Would it not have an advantage in a inhome encounter by having a reduced sound signature. Not a huge priority in a life threatening situation but an advantage to keeping your hearing after the fact.
Other than that it appears to put up numbers similar to good +p 9mm. So should I scrap it as a carry round? I know it's a subjective question but thoughts are more than welcome.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 11:11:22 AM »
Look I know nothing about the ammo in question, and little about subsonic ammo in general. Luckily for you I'm a member of this board, which as we all know, is even better than staying at a Holiday Inn Express. ;D

The two things I can say for certain is that subsonic ammo will deliver less foot pounds down range than the equivilent standard ammo simply because the bullet is moving slower.
The flip side is that this might not matter at across the living room distance, and you will have less of a worry about going through the neighbor's wall.
I'd shoot some, see if it cycles, and if it does I'd use it for the bedside gun.
FQ13

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 11:14:30 AM »
Would it not have an advantage in a inhome encounter by having a reduced sound signature. Not a huge priority in a life threatening situation but an advantage to keeping your hearing after the fact.

From the accounts I've heard the report is negligible
http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=20468.0

Other than that it appears to put up numbers similar to good +p 9mm. So should I scrap it as a carry round? I know it's a subjective question but thoughts are more than welcome.
When I carried a 40 I leaned towards the heavier rounds because I was a fan of the bigger and heavier is better club.  Now I just carry a 45  ;D  I think you'd be fine carrying it.  At 990 fps your getting 392 ft/lbs of energy and when you look a bullet performance and energy transfer on top of that I think you'd be well served.
He who dares wins.  SAS

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:00:50 AM »

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 11:17:44 AM »
Look I know nothing about the ammo in question, and little about subsonic ammo in general. Luckily for you I'm a member of this board, which as we all know, is even better than staying at a Holiday Inn Express. ;D

The two things I can say for certain is that subsonic ammo will deliver less foot pounds down range than the equivilent standard ammo simply because the bullet is moving slower.
The flip side is that this might not matter at across the living room distance, and you will have less of a worry about going through the neighbor's wall.
I'd shoot some, see if it cycles, and if it does I'd use it for the bedside gun.
FQ13

FQ, this is why I come to you for advise. You are my dark side mentor!
Thanks.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 11:17:45 AM »
The sound signature of Sub sonic ammo is no lower than standard, but since it is traveling slower there is no mini sonic boom.
They may be more accurate than standard because approaching the sound barrier generates a pressure wave that destabilizes bullets . On a larger scale it has been known to tear an aircraft apart.
Same weight bullet at standard velocity will penetrate further than slower bullet at the same range so it would be better for indoor use.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1134
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 01:51:14 PM »
The Ranger T ammo I saw didn't come in "standard" and "subsonic". It's just one load that happens to be subsonic like most .45 acp is. It looks just like a black talon except it's not black, so it should perform well and have fairly deep penetration.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 02:30:16 PM »
The Ranger T ammo I saw didn't come in "standard" and "subsonic". It's just one load that happens to be subsonic like most .45 acp is. It looks just like a black talon except it's not black, so it should perform well and have fairly deep penetration.
And that right there is a good thing. If it gets into the BG and stays there, that's what you want. I doubt you'll get,any "customer complaints" if you actually have to use the stuff. Just make sure your pistol cycles it. I'd recommend one mag on rapid fire (my range doesn't allow this, but they'll look the other way if you explain you're testing new ammo). If there are no jams, carry it.
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk