Author Topic: Evolving Law Enforcement  (Read 3059 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 907
Evolving Law Enforcement
« on: November 29, 2013, 10:40:12 AM »
When I say that our law enforcement community is evolving, I don't mean as much in tactics and technology as I do mentality.  Before I start I want everybody to know that for the most part I respect officers.  However, like in every area of life, some give a bad name to all.

As I have interacted with officers over the past year and read about changes nationwide I have noticed a trend.  More and more officers are seeing themselves as "special."  We are civilians and they are some sort of special class.  I see a tremendous move for all departments to have special forces teams, weapons the military trains with constantly and require constant training to operate, vehicles coming out of the military that are designed for warfare, and a tremendous Judge Dredd mentality. 

Once again, this is not with all, but enough that we not only see the rare in the media but also walking or cruising our streets.

There was a time when law enforcement officers felt the calling to serve, and most communities law enforcement signage stated "To Protect and Serve."  We than moved to a level where most officers were veterans, because most men served in the armed forces, to a police force of veterans because veterans get extra points in the civil service selection process.  Today we have who groups who have the need to control that move toward law enforcement.

In my early years as a driver every officer who pulled me over, and there were many, treated me with a level of respect.  Today it is common to have an officer who struts like a peacock or tom turkey looking to impress.  In the past there was the occasional error in code understanding, but today I face many officers who will mold the code to their own purpose.  Carry laws are a good example in that even if they know they still stand by their understanding. 
Case in point: 
In a recent class an officer told the class that whenever an officer is in the area the exchange must include disclosure of weapon at the earliest possible point.  When pointed out that he was wrong and provided with the statute, he read it and responded that if his way was not followed I would find myself cuffed for questioning. 
In a more recent situation I was involved in a vehicle accident last week.  In Minnesota our driver's license is tagged with carry permit information, and a full vehicle registration search will also bring it up.  The officer who came to assist never asked about firearms, and after running my DL was observant of the interior of the pickup whenever she approached but never said a word.

Here I go on a controversial point of view that needs the reader to remember that twice I have stated that not all law enforcement officers or departments are bad:

I see a trend that the Mall Ninjas are infiltrating our law enforcement, and they are rising in the ranks to those who believe their department needs to be equipped and trained like Seal Team (whatever the hot number in the media is today).

Do we need or want law enforcement who trains with their standard weapons twice a year and their special weapons quarterly running around like Rambo?  How many of our departments really need military combat assault vehicles to handle issues in their communities, and in large cities, how many of these vehicles do they really need?  And finally, where is the line between uniforms that look like these are professional front line community servants, and heavily trained special forces team members?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

Re: Evolving Law Enforcement
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 05:24:14 PM »
America needs cops.
The regime needs LEO's.

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 06:33:50 PM »
I know several of the local cops here in my town.  I lived here for six or seven years, left and returned but the guys and gals are the same.  They respect the 2nd Amendment, vehemently...  Not too common here in Massatwoshits..

It's a small town of 11K and they know they're not enough to keep everyone safe all of the time.  Those that I know are given their due, those that I don't I mind my P's and Q's...  I haven't been stopped by a LEO in fifteen years and he was a local guy in a neighboring town from where I lived.  I was guilty, he let me slide for a speeding infraction because I was polite and respectful...

I avoid the urban areas at all costs...  The largest city I've visited in twenty years and then only driving through was Providence.  A shithole by any definition...

Jrlobo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 09:37:42 PM »
m58,

I'm an "I told you so" kind of guy, but I mentioned in previous threads that we can no longer trust the police on the state and local levels as they depend on assistance from the feds and the fed attitude has completely rubbed off on them. It's a disease that calls into question of "which side they will be on". It's clear in my mind and it is no longer ours, the common folk. The police forces now attract control freaks, strutters and neverwuzzers ( a horse term for perennial losers). Sad to say it, but I think that is the case. I always respect the laws and the police, but I know longer trust either as being in my interest. Spoke my mind and now going back to sleep.

Lobo

"Often in error, never in doubt!"

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 10:29:31 AM »
I noticed the same problem, M58. I had a field training officer for our local county tell a classroom of interested citizens, part of the the Sheriff's Citizen Academy, that if you announced you had a CCW (as is required in some states but not in ND), he would cuff you and disarm you before continuing with the reason he stopped you, e.g. traffic stop.

This was 3 years ago in a state where the right to keep and bear arms is worded more strongly in the state Constitution than it is in the US Constitution, and the enumeration of that right is in the 1st paragraph of the 1st section of the 1st Article of said constitution.

When you tie this trend with the abuse of the people of NOLA after Katrina (think 67 year old woman who was told to show her weapon and then set upon by the very cops who asked her to show it to them, breaking her arm and visiting contusions and bruises on her in the process) and other such events, well, it's obvious that this is not by happenstance - bad guys dwell within the PDs and since there is rarely any censure of their actions, they get the idea that they are to behave this way.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:06:04 PM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 11:46:15 AM »
I noticed the same problem, M58. I had a field training officer for our local county tell a classroom of interested citizens, part of the the Sheriff's Citizen Academy, that if you announced you had a CCW (as is required in some states but not in ND), he would cuff you and disarm you before continuing with the reason he stopped you, e.g. traffic stop.

This was 3 years ago in a state where the right to keep and bear arms is worded more strongly in the state Constitution than it is in the US Constitution, and the enumeration of that right is in the 1st paragraph of the 1st section of the 1st Article of said constitution.

When you tie this trend with the abuse of the people of NOLA after Katrina (think 67 year old woman who was told to show her weapon and then set upon by the very cops who asked her to show it to them, breaking her arm and visiting contusions and bruises on her in the process) and other such events, well, it's obvious that this is not by happenstance - bad guys dwell within the PDs and since there is rarely any censure of their actions, they get the idea that they are to behave this way.

I honestly don't understand this.....except as a punishment for having the audacity to carry a weapon as if you were equal to an LEO. 

I mean, he trusts a criminal with a concealed weapon more than a citizen who carries one legally...just no logical reason other than the spite of an LEO on an ego trip.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 11:49:57 AM »
protect and serve is 100% correct,  its not protect and serve the public, but protect and serve themselfs.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 907
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 03:53:31 PM »
I honestly don't understand this.....except as a punishment for having the audacity to carry a weapon as if you were equal to an LEO. 

I mean, he trusts a criminal with a concealed weapon more than a citizen who carries one legally...just no logical reason other than the spite of an LEO on an ego trip.

And that is part of what I started this thread with.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk