Author Topic: Self Defense while Handling a Service Dog  (Read 3499 times)

Shastas mum

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Self Defense while Handling a Service Dog
« on: July 28, 2016, 12:41:02 AM »
My husband and I have both taken classes and are both experienced shooters.  However, I know you have covered some things about Michael Baine having physical issues and how to deal with that at home, but even more info is needed by those of us at a physical disadvantage.
I already know, that with my physical issues, my ability to run away is probably nil.  My last CCW instructor told me to forget the distance rule entirely because I  need to worry sooner than others.
I now take a service dog with me on a waist leash 80% of places I go.  As soon as our training is complete that number will be close to 100% of the time.  One of the most important things I have learned as a responsible service dog handler is to "honor the dog."  Basically, that means that I need to always be aware of her and any hazards to her, just as she takes care of me.  The relationship between my dog and myself is actually closer than with any human by necessity.
Could you cover defense methods keeping the dog's safety in mind?  Surely there are many of us out there that really don't have that kind of information.
Thank you for your attention to this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk