Author Topic: Results of Poor Judgement  (Read 1671 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 907
Results of Poor Judgement
« on: May 04, 2017, 10:02:57 AM »
I shared this back when it took place, and we are progressing through the system.  For those who missed it or forgot:  Three men were casing a house in preparation for a break in.  Early in the morning the resident woke up to sound on the deck of his second floor bedroom.  When he investigated he saw two men running, one running and one crawling because of a broken leg from the jump.  He went back into the house and retrieved a handgun.  He then shot at a fleeing car striking it twice.  In the process he wounded one and killed another.

http://www.stjamesnews.com/news/20170503/pettersen-accepts-plea-agreement

Not stated in the article is that this man can still face civil suits from the wounded man and the family of the dead man.  I don't condone what Petterson did, but these other men were wrong as well.  The fact they had trespassed, being a crime in itself, used to take away their right to sue.  However, our Courts no longer hold to this, and they will let you sue no matter what you were doing.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: Results of Poor Judgement
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 11:13:55 AM »
Never shoot at ANYONE or ANYTHING fleeing away from you. It doesn't take Clarence Darrow to prove they were of no threat to your life.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1134
Re: Results of Poor Judgement
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 03:20:01 PM »
The idiot got off easy. He was very lucky.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk