Author Topic: Help seeker_two pick a .22....  (Read 10986 times)

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Help seeker_two pick a .22....
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2009, 02:43:25 PM »
I have and use a 3 screw Ruger Single-Six with 9" barrel that I got in the mid-60's.  It will shoot with the best of the new ones.  I also have a Ruger MarkII Govt.  Awesome shooter.  Hi-Standard used to make some good 9 rd SA revolvers, you can still find some at gun shows.  If not a Single Six, recommend a S&W (yes I know, more expensive, but you get what you pay for) or possible if can find a Colt 22lr revolver.   
DesertMarine

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1072
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2009, 04:27:44 PM »
I have and use a 3 screw Ruger Single-Six with 9" barrel that I got in the mid-60's.  It will shoot with the best of the new ones.  I also have a Ruger MarkII Govt.  Awesome shooter.  Hi-Standard used to make some good 9 rd SA revolvers, you can still find some at gun shows.  If not a Single Six, recommend a S&W (yes I know, more expensive, but you get what you pay for) or possible if can find a Colt 22lr revolver.   

My Grandfather had a Hi-Standard SA 9-shot. He bought it new in 1965. Don't know what he paid for it. My mom and dad had just gotten married and then dad went into the Air force. After dad finished AF Basic training, he was stationed at the AF Base near Tonopah, Nevada (866th Radar Sqd, also where I was born). My grandparents took my mom out to join dad after he got settled in and the Hi-Standard was taken along under the seat 'just in case'.

The gun is in pristine condition, with no wear or scratches. I doubt my granddad fired more than a brick through it in its entire life. There's not even a wear ring around the cylinder. It stayed in a holster in their hall closet except for when it was stolen when their house was broken into back in the early 80's. Thankfully, it was recovered swiftly by the SO.

Before he passed away, he gave me his gold watch, and after he passed away the Hi-Standard went to my younger brother.
That was eleven years ago and I don't think my brother has ever shot it either (not really a gun person). I handled and cleaned it last year so I know it's still in perfect condition. I have shot other Hi-Standards and they are well made little guns.

Anyway, I know it was only minutely tangent to the original thread, but when DesertMarine mentioned the Hi-Standard, it set my mind to remembering my Granddad. So thanks for letting me drift and ramble a bit.

And now, back to the thread...........  8)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2009, 04:32:29 PM »
Not  exactly what your looking for, but have you thought about a smith model 41?  I know they are on the pricy side, but it will take you from field use to mid level bullseye comp in its stock form.

I have 2 ( well I had two, my finace says one is hers)   both will shoot 10 shoot groups at 25 yards smaller then a quater.( this is with open sites and using a bag)
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

dj454

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2009, 09:13:55 PM »
No to the Earl just for safety (no trigger guard).

Unless you have real small hands I would also say no to the Bearcat.

Get a Ruger Single Six.  They come in every 'flavor' you can think of, (stainless, blue, any barrel length, with 22 Mag Cylander, etc).  It will become a treasured heirloom to pass on.  It is also (IMO) the BEST gun to start a new shooter.
I agree 100% with Haz. I love my single six. I have had it for 11 or 12 years now and I have lost count of how many bricks of .22 I have run through it and it still functions beautifully.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1134
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2009, 04:30:56 PM »
I wouldn't get the Earl just because of the fake loading lever. I'm not worried about it not having a trigger guard. You just don't cock the gun until you're ready to shoot it, like any other SA revolver.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 06:16:48 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk