Author Topic: 1911 kaboom pics  (Read 16333 times)

fullautovalmet76

Re: 1911 kaboom pics
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 07:25:05 PM »
I'm starting to reload and those pictures give me pause, as they should....

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 07:50:30 PM »
Just don't reload when you are half asleep, drunk, or in a bad mood.  I double check each round (looking at the actual charge before seating) because I don't use a progressive.  I also weigh every tenth round to make sure they are in line with the others.  If the weights don't add up then I go back and check them all, and pull the bullets on the offending cartridges.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 08:01:25 PM »
I'm starting to reload and those pictures give me pause, as they should....

Yes, reloading is serious business.

I would like to have examined that pistol, that is not a normal overloaded case situation, as someone else stated, a powder mix up perhaps? h110 or ww296? Experimenting?

My 1st thought was squib, and then another round behind it, next thought was the pistol had a feeding problem, and the bullet got shoved way back into the case and was then fired.

Most .45 acp's don't have supported chambers, especially 1911's, and if you look at the 2nd pic, the case head nearly completely separated, and has been stated earlier, the lower portion of the case under the feed ramp will blow out and become the relief valve, not enough to save a barrel, but a slide blow out is rare.  I hope He pays more attention from now on. That hand is going to get his attention for some time for sure.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Frosty

• Top Forum Member
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 12:29:09 AM »
LUCKY!!!
I have been reloading for about 8 months, I have had two squibs, one I know why (lack of powder) the other I haven't been able to figure out why. Gotta stay on top of your game when relading.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people.  On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.”  H.L. Mencken, The Baltimore Evening Sun,  July 26, 1920.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 07:50:14 AM »
LUCKY!!!
I have been reloading for about 8 months, I have had two squibs, one I know why (lack of powder) the other I haven't been able to figure out why. Gotta stay on top of your game when relading.

Maybe you should not be reloading if you cant at least stay on top of your typos. ;D
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:00:51 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 907
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 08:22:24 AM »
LUCKY!!!

Most important advice I received when starting to reload (handgun rounds) was neat, tidy and zero distractions.  I do not listen to the radio or have a tv going when reloading.  I will do it with a friend in the room, but our discussion comes back to specs every couple minutes, because we are both checking quality while one is loading.

The neat and tidy is real important.  Since we own this press together, and it is in his home, I deal with conditions dictated by him and his sons using it.  Last time I arrived I was doing the caliber conversion, as expected and normal, but I spent an hour reorganizing the bench that had become a cluttered mess.  I want nothing out but what I know and what I intend to use - one primer, one powder, one bullet, one brass, one set of notes and books, one set of gauges (all set for or sized for what I am reloading), one set of spare parts and tools, etc.  Reloading has done wonders for my organizational skills.

Watch the old westerns where the bank and train robbers were handling unsteady explosives.  That is how I treat my reloading (not as nervous, but just as serious).
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk