Author Topic: Help for the infirm . . .  (Read 4019 times)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Help for the infirm . . .
« on: November 16, 2007, 08:10:09 PM »
Erik -

No, I'm not talking about the blind or folks in a wheelchair, I'm referring to me! Here's the scoop.

I'm getting on in years, got a late start in guns, am overweight, have a bad knee - football and skiing injuries in my callow youth - that keeps me from fully flexing the knee as well as making it tough getting up and down off the ground. And yet, with all of this, I would love to take practical rifle and pistol courses, as well as a CCW course. They look daunting though with some of them requiring kneeling and crouching, and other exercises that are tough for me.

Of the courses that USSA offers, which ones would provide the most effective training without compromising my already damaged knee? Thanks.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Help for the infirm . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 04:04:43 PM »
Pathfinder, any good instructor is going to work with you, let your instructors know up front your capabilities, and the reverse.
I would also recommend for anyone taking a top notch course, to start preparing for the course. When Thunder Ranch was here in Texas, they held courses all year, July and August can beat the best of us, if we have'nt done some preparation for the heat and exposure. I don't know how bad your condition is, but try getting some high grade knee pads and working with them slowly with something to hold onto while practicing. Unlike a handgun, a rifle or carbine can be used to help yourself up if done properly and safely. I am 49 years old, and have been in the automotive business most of my life, getting on my knees kills me, but I've gone to wearing 511 pants with the knee pad inserts, and they really help. That 1/4" of foam does'nt look like much, but it works.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 06:45:58 AM »
Hello Pathfinder. The whole purpose of a CCW class is to provide the student with the skills, knowledge and experience to equalize any advantage of youth, strength and numbers. I'm right there with you being not-so-nimble anymore. I am on the teaching staff of a NC concealed carry training company in Raleigh and we gladly provide students with special assistance as taught in all NRA Instructor courses. In my experience, certified instructors love to teach-and love to help. Go for it!!
ps. A buddy of mine, 65 YOA retired Fed, just spent a lot of money to take a CQB tactical rifle course that he could not physicaly complete, so ask questions before investing.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 08:55:48 AM »
Pathfinder,
             Sorry for the long delay in responding.  Somehow I missed this thread.  Next time, PM me in addition to your post and I'll be sure to see your question.

It sounds like you've received some pretty good advice already.

In general, I would recommend that you contact the course instructor and speak with him directly.  Let him know your concerns and your limitations ahead of time.  Most instructors will work around whatever injuries you have and if the instructors are reputable, they will tell you ahead of time whether or not you meet any physical requirements for course.

Regarding our courses at USSA.  I'd need to speak with your directly, preferably over the phone for me to give you an honest assessment. I'd need some more information regarding your condition and your range of movement.  Our Tactical Rifle I course is challanging, but not in a very physical manner (Unless you take the course in the August heat!)  The most physically demanding parts of the course are the positional shooting blocks.  There are several kneeling and seated variations (no crouching though) and of course, several repetitions of getting into and out of each position.  If you can't get into a certain position, then I'll let you work on the positions you can get into.  One of USSA's training philosophies is incorporating the body's natural reactions and tendencies into your fighting skills.  It's not to push our technical doctrine on you.  I'll work with you on developing your natural fighting skills and show you some techniques designed to enhance your personal performance.  I have no interest in forcing the USSA method on you for promotional purposes.  I'll show you why I think our way is better and give you an opportunity to experiment with it.  If if works, great!  If it doesn't, trash it and continue to use your method.  Our purpose is to make you a better shooter, not to force the USSA way on you.

Erik
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk