Author Topic: Cabelas Descrating it's Own Brand  (Read 2807 times)

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cabelas Descrating it's Own Brand
« on: November 27, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
Cabela’s real estate business is  fairly directly related to public land access in that their opening moves have been to  broker ranches right next large tracts of public land, such as the Missouri breaks , at least one of which was in Block Management and   a gateway to the breaks.  They are facilitating the whole privatization jugernaught   threatening our land and access to the public wildlife.

Cabela’s Desecrating its Own Brand
By Bill Schneider, 11-22-07

It has taken Cabela’s a long time to move into Montana, but now that iconic retailer of hunting and fishing goods finally has a stake in the sand down in Billings, it might be wondering if it was the right decision.

Cabela’s has become accustomed to being revered by hunters and anglers, but in Montana, many sportsmen and women now have the opposite attitude, disdain--and they’re sending back their catalogs with promises never to spend another penny there. When opening a new store, Cabela’s expects the local hunters and anglers who have lusted for years to have a store nearby to more or less knell on the doorstep, but if Cabela’s doesn’t stop endorsing the loss of public hunting, the corporate VIPs might see people picketing the Billings store opening with anti-Cabela’s placards.

Here’s the rub. Back in June 2004, Cabela’s went public and is now listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol CAB. Such initial public offerings are always accompanied by plans on how to use all the new money for aggressive growth. And sure enough, Cabela’s launched into a major expansion, which primarily involving more and faster store openings.

No problem so far, the more and faster the better as far as I’m concerned, but a small part of that growth plan, a real estate marketing division called Cabela’s Trophy Properties might hurt Cabela’s bottom line and stock performance (already down to about half of its opening price) more than it helps. In Montana, the ruckus over the real estate division has already tarnished the best brand in the business, and it looks like it could get much worse and spread to other states.

I personally don’t want to see this happen because I’m one of those who have grown up revering Cabela’s. I’d probably live in a Cabela’s store if they’d let me--at least for a few days until I had to leave to file for bankruptcy. And I bet the company’s brass and shareholders want to prevent damage to their brand even more than I do. If so, they need to act quickly and decisively instead of doing what they’re doing right now, which is seriously underestimating the potential of the problem.

The controversy erupted when Cabela’s Trophy Properties opened an office in Montana and started listing what the Montana Wildlife Federation (MWF), the state’s largest group of hunters and anglers, calls “traditional public hunting properties.” Those listings shot up a warning flare to the MWF’s 7,000 members, and the result was a strongly worded letter from executive director Craig Sharpe going to Dennis Highby, president & CEO of Cabela’s. In the letter, Sharpe warned of a “strong response” to the real estate marketing, such as mailing back or burning catalogs, unless Cabela’s addressed the group’s concerns and agreed to a meeting to discuss the issues.

A flash point in the controversy was the sale, planned subdivision and eventual closure to public hunting of two large ranches in central Montana by Cabela’s Trophy Properties. “Is this in line with Cabela’s mission?” Sharpe asked in his letter.

Following Sharpe’s letter and several others sent to Cabela’s by MWF members, two of Montana’s premier outdoor writers, Mike Babcock at the Great Falls Tribune and Mark Henckel of the Billings Gazette wrote detailed articles on the debate. Neither article painted a rosy picture of Cabela’s real estate deals and ended up turning up the heat another notch.

Then, and typical of large corporations that don’t really understand damage control, Cabela’s managed to make it worse with its responses. First, Cabela’s spokesperson David Draper implied that this was no big deal and told Montana hunters they shouldn’t fret because the properties were selling to sportsmen who are “probably going to make the land better,” a bonehead statement that Sharpe called “insulting.”

Throwing more gas on the fire was the corporate response that, in essence, tried to dodge the bullet by saying we aren’t really in the real estate business, just the real estate marketing business.

Here’s how that works. Cabela’s doesn’t actually buy and sell land, Instead, it licenses its brand to local real estate brokers and allows them to market prime hunting and fishing properties under the banner of Cabela’s Trophy Properties. The brokers pay Cabela’s for the license, probably with a license fee and a slice of the commission on property sales.

Cabela’s third response was the old “can’t we just get along” comeback, which was in the form of an invitation for the MWF board to an exclusive VIP reception at the Billing store opening and agreeing to send out a packet of information to buyers of “trophy properties” suggesting they do good things for wildlife.

Well, we all hope buyers do good things like leave land open to public hunting and file for a conservation easement preventing future subdivision and that the board members has a jolly time at the reception, but that response doesn’t address what concerns Montana hunters (i.e. Cabela’s promoting the loss of public hunting. In fact, the tokenism worsened the problem.

Sorry, Cabela’s, these responses get zero traction. By licensing your name to realtors who use it to market property definitely makes you part of the real estate biz--and not just any real estate biz, but the worst kind.

I doubt anybody has a problem with Cabela’s buying 44 acres down on the edge of Billings and then selling off a chuck or two to Burger King or Day’s Inn. But using a nation’s top hunting and fishing brand to promote the sale, subdivision and closure to public access of prime hunting land is quite a different real estate deal. It is, in fact, exactly opposite of everything Cabela’s stands for, and you’d think the company would be trying to distance itself as far and as fast as possible from it.

Earth to Cabela’s. You’re using your brand to promote the loss of public hunting on private land in large sections of Montana and other sates. This could destroy your brand, and you really don’t want to do this.

Getting out of real estate can’t be that tough a decision for a company with $2 billon in sales, very little of it from real estate marketing. I perused the annual report and couldn’t even find the words “Cabela’s Trophy Properties,” let alone anything about the millions Cabela’s makes in license fees and commissions--because, of course, this is probably a microscopic part of the giant’s revenue.

It has potential, though--potential to cost Cabela’s ten dollars in retail sales for every dollar earned in license fee income.

So, I hope President & CEO Highby sees this column, recognizes the real estate division as a major (but still correctable) mistake, and decides get out of the real estate business faster than he can say it.

If you’d like to support me in encouraging, Cabela’s to rapidly get back on course, here’s a couple of phone numbers that might work, 308-254-5505 and 1-800-237-4444, or you can go to the customer service email page (click here) and send your comments in writing. In the meantime, until we get a better response, keep sending those catalogs back. Cabela’s definitely understands what that means.

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Cabelas Descrating it's Own Brand
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 09:00:54 AM »
Just went to Cabelas site and e-mailed my opinion FWIW.  Also, in my neck of the woods (NE Ohio) I have been told that the USPS just S... cans mail marked "Return To Sender" instead of waisting time returning it.  A better idea might be to put their catalog in an envelope with a polite letter and address it to the company president.  I'm sure they wouldn't reach his desk but it might get his attention.  Also, if you have a Cabelas Visa Card stop using it.  They probably get something from its use.
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 09:12:25 AM »
Bidah,

This is a major problem every where.  Heck, all those trophy bucks you see taken on TV come from private lands that cost 3,000.00 and up just to hunt white tail.  In KY there is a place called Game Trailes Lodge that is pretty much reserved for the exclusive use of the TV shows!

Then the restrictions on public lands gets worse and worse because it is the only place most people can afford to hunt so they are over used.

Hunting is becoming (again) the "Sport of Kings".
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Trevor

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 10:05:51 AM »
Welcome to Corporate America.  There is not much that can be done about it except not to shop at the stores.  I am sure in Billings, MT there are some locally-owned outdoor retailers that would appreciate the customer loyalty given the presence of the retail dragon out on the Interstate.  Partonize them.  Forget about Cabela's.

As for access to public lands for the shooting sports, as our host Mr. Bane can attest, fighting the bureaucrats is an exhausting process, but it can be done.  Are the locals ready for the fight?

clayflingythingy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 10:48:36 AM »
Hunting declines every year as measured by license sales. It is a trend that has many factors contributing to the decline with lack of access to hunting land being one the biggest most likely. Here in Ky there is almost no public land to hunt. I lost interest in hunting some years back, partially as a result of having lost all my old hunting grounds. With or without Cabela's involvement the trend will continue into the forseeable future.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:23:21 AM »

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 11:15:22 AM »
I have been a big Cabela's supporter for close to 30 years, back when it was just a catalog.  My dad has been as well.  Yep, got the card, and all the big catalogs.  I have found myself ordering from them less and less as they are not as good as they used to be.  My cousin has a product of his design/manufacture that they sell, and his stories are interesting.  It really started to change for the worse when the family sold the whole thing to the conglomerate a few years ago.

It is hard to support the locals here where I live, as they are just not good places.  So, MidwayUSA it will be totally from now on, just as it has been for the last two years.

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

hodman

• Very Active Forum Member
  • I just need faster reloads with my wallet
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 03:35:22 PM »
I agree they have changed in the last few years. I dont like what is going on but i am not sure it is their fault. I know if want to hunt I will have to pay. I owned a hunting cabin and some land and it cost money to keep it up. I would get lots of people who wanted to hunt but very few who wanted to work to make it a great place to hunt. So now when I want to hunt I pay my money and get my hunt. It is a lot cheper for me. I know the issues are bigger than I made them out but lets do not kill our own.

Jon
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk