Author Topic: Anybody want to sue Academy Sports?  (Read 9453 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Anybody want to sue Academy Sports?
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 10:41:37 PM »
Thats going to depend on the laws of your state.

ethics do not equal morals.

If you were a lawyer and your client walked into your office and said: "I just killed my wife"  ethicly you can't tell the police, morally I think we all agree he should.

Morally it might very well depend on the wife.
Had a guy up here did pretty much that and the Judge told him "don't do it again"

I exaggerate a little, Jury ruled self defense. But it sounds better my way  ;D

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 895
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 10:45:21 PM »
Thats going to depend on the laws of your state.

ethics do not equal morals.

If you were a lawyer and your client walked into your office and said: "I just killed my wife"  ethicly you can't tell the police, morally I think we all agree he should.

I explained the laws, now just answer the damn question!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 10:51:45 PM »
now children...
though I disagree with their policy and it may effect whether or not I buy from them, I do agree that it is their business.. a PRIVATE owned business and so can sell to whomever they want/ or not. of course they have reasons, maybe not good ones in our eyes, but if I were the owner of a business and did not want to sell to a certain age group or whatever for reasons of convenience or even for personal reasons I would not sell to them. yes, this is probably stupid, overpaid, retarded lawyers imposing this, but the owner, board.... whatever, makes the final decision based on past experience and weighing the loss/gain of said decision. as I say, I do not agree with their policy, but I have changed banks and jobs etc... based on policies I did not agree with, so I will here. I protest with my wallet. oh yeah, I tell everyone why too!

deepwater
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

tombogan03884

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 11:04:07 PM »
 I still don't know what the "multiple handgun purchase " paper work has to do with it. It sounds like BS to me but no one with an FFL has called him on it  ?

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 11:09:16 PM »
just look at how much business is going to be sent to the 'local' mom & pop gun shops. maybe this is best for the guys that are starting to feel the 'oh hell, we ain't got no $ let's sell the guns' from the poor folks that are out of work. I'm sure ol' Roy from down the street would do the paperwork and fight the damn lawsuits.

It was mentioned earlier that their prices are high. I agree. the only thing I have ever bought from them was a holster and a travel case to transport my Makerov through the airlines. I don't shop there, just drool......
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 04:21:37 AM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 11:28:59 PM »
I still don't know what the "multiple handgun purchase " paper work has to do with it. It sounds like BS to me but no one with an FFL has called him on it  ?

Unless they changed the laws since BHO took office.  if you buy 2 hand guns with in 5days( I was wrong on the number of days) from the same ffl you have to fill out a form and send it to the ATF...

I'm sure you have heard about people in the south west having the atf show up at thier door asking about guns they have recently bought... this is how they found those people.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473.pdf

look right above part 31

the form is 3310.4
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-3310-4.pdf

M58, I don't know what the ethics are for your trade, as a biz owner, you are well with in your rights.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 12:56:06 AM »
 I PMed you

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 07:00:07 AM »
now children...
though I disagree with their policy and it may effect whether or not I buy from them, I do agree that it is their business.. a PRIVATE owned business and so can sell to whomever they want/ or not. of course they have reasons, maybe not good ones in our eyes, but if I were the owner of a business and did not want to sell to a certain age group or whatever for reasons of convenience or even for personal reasons I would not sell to them. yes, this is probably stupid, overpaid, retarded lawyers imposing this, but the owner, board.... whatever, makes the final decision based on past experience and weighing the loss/gain of said decision. as I say, I do not agree with their policy, but I have changed banks and jobs etc... based on policies I did not agree with, so I will here. I protest with my wallet. oh yeah, I tell everyone why too!

deepwater

Actually, there may be a case for age discrimination against Academy. Just as you cannot refuse to sell to someone because they are black, or a woman, if you're open for business to the public, you pretty much have to follow the laws.

Age discrimination is based on whether you use age to discriminate, it has nothing to do with you're too old or too young - it is using age as a determinant. So a business' "right" (? ? ? ) to sell to whomever is limited by the laws. So if you're legal in your state at 18, and Academy won't sell until you're 21 due to a "policy" - that sounds to me like prima facie age discrimination.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2010, 09:00:53 PM »
I actually read all the posts up to this point.   ;)   ;D

My guess is that Academy Sports, being a commercial retail entity, is probably used to being sued...ya, know.. like people slipping on grapes in the produce section of some big grocery chain store and then claiming they hurt their backs...

So...my guess is that Academy Sports probably already has their own in-house legal department or they have contracted it out to some business law, firm.

So...again, just my guess, is that they ran this policy first through their legal department or legal consulting firm first before they enacted it.

If they didn't, then...well, they're dumb. slight...OKAY!  Major thread drift ahead....

As far as guns in the US making it across the border and being used by the druggie gang-bangers....

I thought it was an FBI agent who was doing that:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cd2_1247694118

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D99B748G0.html

:o :o :o :o :o :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk