Author Topic: TACTICAL LEVER ACTION  (Read 118188 times)

tombogan03884

Re: TACTICAL LEVER ACTION
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2008, 02:39:44 PM »
Keithm,

There is the fact that MANY of us have lever guns and for what ever reasons don't have AR/AK type guns.  We would like to use what we have and and are comfortable with to the best of our and it's ability.

I've got an AK clone myself, but will point out to KeithM that you can't top up a semi auto between shots without disabling it to one extent or another. Either removeing the magazine entirely or having a stripper clip between the firing pin and the next round. With most lever guns you can just stuff rounds in the side while still able to fire.(I know, Savage model 99, need to open actionand top load, but enen with that as soon as you close the breech you are back in business)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2008, 02:42:38 PM »
I've got an AK clone myself, but will point out to KeithM that you can't top up a semi auto between shots without disabling it to one extent or another. Either removeing the magazine entirely or having a stripper clip between the firing pin and the next round. With most lever guns you can just stuff rounds in the side while still able to fire.(I know, Savage model 99, need to open actionand top load, but enen with that as soon as you close the breech you are back in business)

That and I would bet my .454 will get someone's attention real quick ;)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

tombogan03884

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2008, 02:46:30 PM »
That and I would bet my .454 will get someone's attention real quick ;)

Even a miss has the effect of a "flash bang" grenade.  If that doesn't get their attention shooting won't help as they are already dead, try holy water ;D

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2008, 02:51:35 PM »
Even a miss has the effect of a "flash bang" grenade.  If that doesn't get their attention shooting won't help as they are already dead, try holy water ;D

You don't need Holy water,  360 grains traveling at 2100+fps will make you see God! ;D
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

rjsixgun

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2008, 03:47:09 PM »
To me, a tactical lever gun is not something I'd run around the streets in black ninja cloths with. Its not Tatical in the sence of kicking in doors. Its tatical to me because is after the gun fight that the real battle begins. I own a few of those so-called "assault rifles" and yes there great firearms. But try to explane to the Anti-Gun Judge, Jury and prosicuter why you needed a 100rd drum or 30 rnd bannana clip to defend yourself or your home. Remember its an "Assault Rifle", "Military Rifle" that only serves to "Kill People" and they'll use some really scarry words to discribe how fast the gun can fire on "FULL-AUTO" and shock 12 jurors in to thinking your the nut! The poor criminal was just breaking into your house because he was hungry and you shot him with an "Assault Rifle" that was banned and can fire 400 rnds per minute!!!! YOUR GUILTY!!!!!

Now turn back to the Tatical lever gun. Just picture what that court room would be like.......its AMERICAS #1 hunting rifle, John Wyane (and American hero) used one, it cant fire 400 rnds per minute, no 100 rnd drum or 30 rnd babanna clips, no evil pistol grip or evil bayonet lug. and the person that broke into your house is a criminal that wanted to cause your family harm and you defended yourself with a "HUNTING RIFLE" or "DEER GUN" the same one your grandfathers use to use.

Chance favors the prepaired mind,
if you win the gun fight and spend the rest of your life in jail..................did you really win?

but this is just my opinion

Sponsor

« Reply #65 on: Today at 06:26:53 PM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2008, 03:51:51 PM »
To me, a tactical lever gun is not something I'd run around the streets in black ninja cloths with. Its not Tatical in the sence of kicking in doors. Its tatical to me because is after the gun fight that the real battle begins. I own a few of those so-called "assault rifles" and yes there great firearms. But try to explane to the Anti-Gun Judge, Jury and prosicuter why you needed a 100rd drum or 30 rnd bannana clip to defend yourself or your home. Remember its an "Assault Rifle", "Military Rifle" that only serves to "Kill People" and they'll use some really scarry words to discribe how fast the gun can fire on "FULL-AUTO" and shock 12 jurors in to thinking your the nut! The poor criminal was just breaking into your house because he was hungry and you shot him with an "Assault Rifle" that was banned and can fire 400 rnds per minute!!!! YOUR GUILTY!!!!!

Now turn back to the Tatical lever gun. Just picture what that court room would be like.......its AMERICAS #1 hunting rifle, John Wyane (and American hero) used one, it cant fire 400 rnds per minute, no 100 rnd drum or 30 rnd babanna clips, no evil pistol grip or evil bayonet lug. and the person that broke into your house is a criminal that wanted to cause your family harm and you defended yourself with a "HUNTING RIFLE" or "DEER GUN" the same one your grandfathers use to use.

if you win the gun fight and spend the rest of your life in jail..................did you really win?

ALL of what you say is true (whether we like it or not) and I agree.

There is also this thing in me (don't know about others) that if I can't 'just pull the trigger for another round' it makes my first shot a LOT more accurate.

tombogan03884

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2008, 04:32:13 PM »

I don't have a dog in this fight, If I have a home or self defense situation it will be resolved with my .45. My AK is for the range ( At least until after the election  ;D )

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2008, 07:45:02 PM »
I'm going to weigh in on the side of "one never knows." The AR/AK platforms are perfectly viable self-defense weapons (with the caveat of something like the non-penetrating TAPS)...I usually have an AR around loaded with the TAPS.

But when I look at home defense in terms of pure risk assessment, I am looking at 1-3 armed potentials, not a determined squad loaded with battle hardware. I would probably be facing handguns at the worse. My handgun is the immediate response weapon of choice — it's always at arms' length...if I am fighting defensively at bedroom distances, I transition from handgun to 870 Vang Comp loaded with tactical buckshot, with my Sweetie backing me up with a 12 gauge double...I'm pretty sure I can hold the bedroom until the cavalry arrives.

If, however, there appear to be threats scattered about...maybe outside shooting in...I want a rifle. The advantage of a lever gun is that my .44 Trapper delivers a 250-grain Winchester bullet specifically designed for massive expansion in thin-skinned game — that would be us — at about 1500 fps, and it can be delivered with extreme precision, rapid follow-up shots and topped off virtually forever (and I keep a 50-round box of 240-gr JHP Black Hills around for just that purpose). My goal is to guarantee that anyone I shoot stops...right friggin' then! If I have the lever gun, and my Sweetie has the AR, once again I'm pretty sure we can make it through the night. And we've still got the handguns in reserve!

I'm working with Chiappa on the breakdown '92 .44 Magnum because I feel a lot more comfortable when I travel with guns. A lever gun is acceptable virtually everywhere...even places where an AR will, sadly, get me thrown in the slam. If I can get the gun I want, it'll pack as easily as a handgun. If I carry my 3-inch 629 or that 4-inch ultralight 329, I've got a handgun/rifle combo in the same very powerful caliber...as handy as it was in the Old West.

Why might I want to carry a rifle on the road? Because I might need it. I was moved by a friend's story on 9/11...when the flights were grounded, he had to drive across the country to get home to his family...he was armed with a J-frame and 5 rounds of .38+P ammo. "It's a drive," he told me later, "that I'll never make again...sure nothing happened, but that doesn't mean nothing will happen the next time..." I travel a lot, often to the People's Republic of California. A rifle would be...a comfort. Heck, In Kali an RPG would be a comfort! I can conceive of a situation where I might have to make a long drive home through a troubled landscape, and I'd like the firepower.

Also, you can't argue with the legal ramifications of using an "assault weapon" to defend yourself. Brother Ayoob has been very clear that in a shooting situation, you will have to defend your life not once, but twice — the second time in court. I would much rather my attorney hold up "John Wayne's gun" to the jury than "Rambo's gun."

Will I give up my ARs for lever guns? NAAAAAAWWWWWWW! Do I feel comfortable with lever guns for defensive weapons? You betcha!

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2008, 07:49:29 PM »
Well said Michael!
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

rjsixgun

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2008, 09:50:49 PM »
I gotta agree 100% with you Mr. Bane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk