Author Topic: Federal vs State  (Read 2461 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
Federal vs State
« on: October 16, 2016, 08:06:14 PM »
As I travel across state lines day in and day out, I get to hear headlines from many areas.  Sadly, I only hear headlines, because our mainstream media no longer gives us the news - Just sound bite headlines.

Friday in one state I heard of a push for the federal government to send more tax dollars back to the state for projects.  This made me think about our tax system:

First, I detest property taxes!  This is a tax that is in no way, shape, or form based on the ability to pay.  I can spend $10K to improve or maintain my property, it might be viewed as a $20K upgrade, and then between levy increases and special assessments my taxes could double;

Second, The vast majority of our needs as citizens are at a state or local level, but the majority of what we pay goes to the federal system who dictates what we do.  Why does the majority of our money go to a place where we have the least level of representation?;

Third, Our elected officials realize that it is illegal (unConstitutional) for them to dictate certain local and state areas, so they bribe/blackmail us.  Remember the national 55mph speed limit?  That wasn't a federal law, but if a state didn't put it into their state law they lost federal funds.  This takes place in all areas of our lives.  Each and everyone of us, as taxpayers, participate in illegal extortion that harms us, the very ones who are doing the extorting.

What do we need to do to take back our nation?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Federal vs State
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 08:18:18 PM »
Our education system:
4,400 employees (2016) and a budget of $19.4 billion (2012).

This department subsidizes higher education tuition (grants and loans to students rather than rewarding good stewardship by both families and schools), and control of funds to states in order to control what and how our students are taught.

What if we lowered this to a Secretary of Education, two deputies, and six clerical?  A generous $1.25 million all inclusive for salaries and all else associated with employees, $2 million for office space and overhead.  Their job would be to evaluate enrollment, drop out, graduation, and college acceptance rates.  Reports would go to the Executive and Legislative Branches equally, and also to the same in every state.

Lookie there, I just cut $19.2 billion from our federal budget, and I gave control of our education system back to our local level, while protecting a system that will provide for accountability.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 06:10:20 AM »
How many JOBS did that idea eliminate ?
On the other hand, why does the govt need to track that stuff at all ? (just ditched the other  $0.2 bil)
The problem with education isn't how much we spend, but how we spend it.cut about 90% of school administrators. one or two secretaries, a maintenance guy and a principle per school, anyone else who doesn't teach,doesn't get paid.
Taxes ? First thing you need to do is put govt on a budget. This is what must be paid, this is what you get, no defecits allowed. Don't have money for gay rights, or green initiatives, toughski shitski.
Have states collect flat tax or sales tax then pay a contribution toward federal needs.
Note that NEEDS part. Post office, military,State dept and Justice Dept. every thing else, like parks and so forth are by donation and staffed with either prison labor or unpaid volunteers.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 07:49:42 AM »
My comment eliminated 4,391.  However, we all know that the government's claim was a rounded number, so let's just go with it eliminates almost everyone.

I agree that we don't need the department at all.  This is a very new department, and our nuclear, aircraft and space programs were all developed, run, and modernized by people who grew up in the era of one room 1-8 school houses (no pre-school, no Kindergarten, and a heavy reliance on Church and Sunday School), and no Education Department or Department of Education.

Tom, you and I have agreed on the tax code in the past - Flat tax with minimal deductions, and minimal sales tax.

I believe that in the course of discussions on government spending and taxation everybody needs to watch the movie Dave.  Take a look at what Dave does to fix the budget.  I know it is fiction, but ... think about it!  After all, many of the Hollywood elite believe they are smarter than the rest of us and have a responsibility to shape and mold society through their craft.  Take Dave's bold conservative approach that was laid out in front of us.  While I'm on Hollywood, why is it illegal for a charitable non-profit to talk about candidates?  They can talk a stance, but they cannot name actual ballot issues and names without losing their designation.  However, Public TV and Public Radio and Public Schools and Universities can openly push a candidate or proposal and not only keep their tax exempt designation, but continue to be funded through our tax dollars.  This wrinkle includes openly campaigning for us to vote to keep them government funded and our donations as tax deductible.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk