Author Topic: Show #38 - A reading list for the gun culture  (Read 14662 times)

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Show #38 - A reading list for the gun culture
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 10:06:39 AM »
If you all haven't figured out by now,... I'm uhhhhmmm... not too shy. LOL  ::)
So when Marshal and I are someplace and someone shoots off their ignorant mouth about this issue..
 he just squares his shoulders and takes a quiet long deep breath, says a silent prayer that it will be quick and waits..  ;D
(Sometimes it's rather futile, like talking to a box of rocks.. but sometimes its worth the wait.)  ;)
I've picked my teeth with what was left of some after I get done with them.  ;D
I have very little.. in fact zip/none/zero tolerance for closed minded, 'look at the world through a toilet paper tube' mentality.

He was the same way and did the same thing in Norway, but he was using his native language..
( and yea.. he says they have just as many idiots over there as here.  ::)
He's great at discussing gun issues and rights in a civilized manner, but when it comes to the buffoons
sometimes English words fail him in a fast head on...

(((That is why I usually win all the arguments between us at home)))

"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 10:19:28 AM »
I agree Rastus...
the breathe, relax, aim & squeeeeeeeeeze...is definitely something I need to work on. 

And after reading these posts, I do believe I am better armed verbally now with firepower that I have been in the past.
Lots of the "breathe, relax, aim & squeeeeeeeeeze." verbiage that I really need to make a nicer more socially acceptable kill.  ;)

((Poor Marshall...I wonder if just once he would like a calmer and more predictable woman in his life.)))
                    Oh well... too late for that.
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

jpr9954

• Active Forum Member
    • No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 12:19:46 PM »
So-called gun-free zones are nothing but hunting preserves for psychopaths that hunt humans. -- Massad Ayoob

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com

Co-host of The Polite Society Podcast

dino++

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 08:43:56 PM »
Great broadcast with great points.  For enthusiasts of other concerns being a "nut" is a good thing...for us it's disparaging.  It's good to hear someone else, someone of stature in the gun world, speaking sense that should educate us all and be incorporated in our thinking.

There were two great things that Michael said that I liked:

First, I love the use of "wine nut" as an analogy.  To people who pigeonhole us, a wine nut would seem to be the polar opposite of a gun nut, but Michael described well how both groups treat their respective hobbies the same way.  And if anyone tries to argue that the two hobbies are different because "wine doesn't kill people", you point out the dangers of drunk drivers and alcoholism.  Most people would accept that you don't do away with wine just because a few people abuse it.  This make it much better than the "art nut" analogy.

Second, I loved the description of how much gun enthusiasts might enjoy the beauty of the actual hardware and shooting.  This is *exactly* the kind of feeling that I got from my first love - cars.  I think it is very easy for millions of car lovers to really appreciate this sentiment.

Thanks.

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 10:19:40 PM »
Most of the people who give me grief about guns fall into 1 of 2 catagories in my blue collar NH world,  1) Fellow gun owners who want to yank my chain, I'll rant for them as it's in good fun. 2) Stupid people, I don't mean ignorant, which you can fix, but low IQ stupid which is forever. The rest either fear all weapons which is a medical/ psychological disorder called Hopliphobia, or are ignorant and those poor souls I try to help, either with information or an invatation to the range, with them I'm undefeated, I've had some draws, ( The person didn't have time for a trip to the range or they would think over what I said) but none have said  I don't care ban them all.
  When som one asks why I carry a gun I steal Tom Greshams line that it's cuz I can't carry a cop. Thats only a small part of the truth though, up here in NH the MAIN reason I carry a gun is to remind me that when  have free time I can go to the range and have some FUN:)

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:57:15 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 10:21:38 PM »
Also to get back on topic anything by Ruark, although he wrote more about the experiance and guns were part of that. "The Old Man And The Boy"

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 10:31:11 PM »
One of the previously mentioned STUPID PEOPLE, told me I hate guns, my cousin's boy friend (or some distant connection) was killed by a gun. So I asked her Did it stab him? Did the Police arrest it? She looked blank, not even angry, I had to explain ( REAL LOW IQ I used little words) Things, guns , hammers etc. are not capable of independant action, No one has ever been killed by a gun only by a persons use of a gun, either on purpose or through negligence. I say " neglegent discharge" not "accidental discharge"

Herknav

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 02:30:54 PM »
Is this show still accessable?  I am interested in listening to it, but I can only go back 12 pages (to ~episode 140) on the DRR site.

Thanks,
Herk

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 03:10:04 PM »

Herknav

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 04:55:12 PM »
Thank you, sir.  I'm used to only seeing the last 30 or so episodes of a show, so I didn't even look.  A thousand apologies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk