Author Topic: Savage Model 10MLSS .50 caliber Muzzleloader Rifle Blown Up  (Read 119183 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Savage Model 10MLSS .50 caliber Muzzleloader Rifle Blown Up
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 07:53:39 AM »
If steel isn't heat treated properly it can do strange things. Again, this is yet another of many possibilities.   Bill T.

Ahh..correct.  I recall a recent threat where the KABOOM was traced to improper heat treating of the barrel also.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 09:11:37 AM »
If I remember the followup of the Sako incident, there was something reported about the steel having an unusually high Sulphur content. This can cause a crystallization of the steel itself, making it brittle. They were fortunate that only 6 rifles let go, and no one got killed. What I found amazing about the Sako incident is that it involved almost 3,000 rifles. Figuring an average barrel length of 24" that equates to 1.14 MILES of bad barrel steel! I don't know the source of their steel, but I hope they found a new one.  Bill T.

tombogan03884

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 11:21:32 AM »
Here's a thought that will give perspective to the idea of using smokeless powder in a muzzle loader.
Black powder is measured into the gun using a tube on the powder flask that holds "about" the amount you want.
Smokeless is measured into cartridges using triple beam or digital scales that measure  1/10th of a grain.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 12:01:06 PM »
The charges are meant to be pre measured  and placed into small vials or containers. No doubt it has to be done more precisely than with black powder. If the 10-ML is guilty of anything, it is the fact it takes more knowledge to operate it safely.  Bill T.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 01:05:35 AM »

RandyWakeman

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 02:35:24 PM »
There is a very basic Legal Maxim: "He who asserts must prove." You don't have to be around firearms very long to quickly understand that all firearms can be destroyed if misused. Savage Arms has made smokeless firearms for how many years? Most every 12 ga., 20 ga., 28 ga. .410 bore that goes bang every day (with comparatively paper-thin barrels) uses smokeless powder. A 209 primer, wad or sabot, and a slug or shot-- all old news. Loading from the muzzle changes nothing, assuming the gun is designed for the recommended propellants and loads.

This is fairly old news: this article covers what you need to do to damage or destroy a 10ML-II. It isn't easy; you really have to work hard at it any ignore the many printed safety warnings (and common sense). If you really want to and try hard enough, it can be done.

http://randywakeman.com/HowToBlowUpASavage10ML.htm goes over the matter in detail.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 02:42:32 PM »
That was a good read, Randy....thanks.....and welcome to the forum....hope you post more.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 04:01:24 PM »
Thanks Randy.  Bill T.

tombogan03884

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 11:59:25 PM »
Randy, Excellant first post welcome,

bigtruck797

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 04:12:07 PM »
Where is the ramrod??Bet it is abobuttut a 1/4 mi away!! You are supposed to remove them before you pull the trigger. My grandad told a story about his brothers, the youngest one had bothering the oldest to to shoot an old muzzleloader they had. Well they loaded it with about 3 charges. The young one shot it and was knocked on his butt, some what suprising the older ones, but when they started to reload they couldn,t find it. I think that is what happened here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk