Author Topic: Savage Model 10MLSS .50 caliber Muzzleloader Rifle Blown Up  (Read 119286 times)

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Savage Model 10MLSS .50 caliber Muzzleloader Rifle Blown Up
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:38:46 PM »
Got this from a friend:

Caution: The last few pictures are pretty graphic...but they show the magnitude of the mishap

A very good shooting friend of mine from Winnipeg , MB Canada sent me a link to these photos in a web album.  A Winnipeg area shooter by the name of Trent Procter who works for Manitoba Hydro was sighting in his Savage muzzleloader rifle and nearly lost his hand.  Luckily, he had his hand  on the scope instead of the forearm when this happened.  (Incidentally, the Savage is the only muzzleloader that is supposed to withstand the high pressures of smokeless powder.)

I don't know if this failure happened due to a defect in the rifle itself or if the shooter perhaps didn't properly seat the projectile against the powder firmly.  This is VERY important with any muzzleloader, especially when shooting black powder.

Doc Martin

Webmaster Coon 'n Crockett Muzzleloaders Club
Grand Forks, ND - USA
www.coon-n-crockett.org

This is what the rifle looks like:

This is a page I took from the manual that mentions the smokeless loads:

This is the note that was sent with the email I received:
If you guys know of anyone who is shooting a Savage like this let them know that there are many recorded cases of them failing such as Proc's did. Savage is the only muzzle loader that claims it can handle smokeless powder loads. Cabelas won't even carry this product anymore. This email has gone to the CEO of Savage Arms via another hunter who has contacted Trent . The same thing happened to him awhile back, he was lucky as his forend hand was on his scope as he was sighting in. Forward as you feel fit.

"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

Jackel

• life member of the American Honketonk bar association
  • Top Forum Member
  • F150 n' a 30-06
  • Liked:
Re: Savage Model 10MLSS .50 caliber Muzzleloader Rifle Blown Up
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 06:19:23 PM »
ouch, he's gonna have a scar

and Savage a lawsuit
you are a redneck when You think "loading the dishwasher" means getting your wife drunk.

You know your a redneck You ever got too drunk to fish.

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 06:22:39 PM »
Bore obstruction maybe?
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 07:06:39 PM »
Bore obstruction maybe?

Yeah, the bullet!

Never, ever, use smokeless powder in a muzzle loader.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:01:27 PM »
If his hand was on the scope, and the scope is still intact,  the severity of his hand injury, the wound is in the web, thumb and top,....

those would be to the rear facing the shooter, as he was adjusting windage, elevation,... ??? His main injury's are more consistent with a traditional cradling of the foregrip. Left side of palm on the thumb side and across the palm from the pointer finger toward the wrist. Especially the pictures of the stitched wound. Blood blisters from the detonation, and his finger tips (blackened and injured), which would have been curled up toward the barrel in a traditional shooting position.

Seems his hand was more on the foregrip based on the injury, and the way the barrel split...

Either way, he's got a long recovery with that hand ahead of him... Geez, that's a bad one...
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:18:56 PM »

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 10:24:37 PM »
Ouch, I would like to know more about the load used, but God bless these injuries, I have been lucky and only had 1 revolver blow up, I was only the shooter, not the loader or owner of the firearm, wish I had pictures, single action army, cylinder in 3 pieces, and the top strap through the ceiling. The barrel does look thin compared to most muzzle loaders.

Best healing to those involved, looks wicked, and I want them to shoot again.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 10:31:15 PM »
I didn't think muzzleloaders had bolt handles? <Maybe I just am really unfamiliar with the type of rifle.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 10:57:35 PM »
If his hand was on the scope, and the scope is still intact,  the severity of his hand injury, the wound is in the web, thumb and top,....

those would be to the rear facing the shooter, as he was adjusting windage, elevation,... ??? His main injury's are more consistent with a traditional cradling of the foregrip. Left side of palm on the thumb side and across the palm from the pointer finger toward the wrist. Especially the pictures of the stitched wound. Blood blisters from the detonation, and his finger tips (blackened and injured), which would have been curled up toward the barrel in a traditional shooting position.

Seems his hand was more on the foregrip based on the injury, and the way the barrel split...

Either way, he's got a long recovery with that hand ahead of him... Geez, that's a bad one...

I think what was being said was that another friend who had a similar blowup was lucky to have had his hand on the scope. Not this poor guy.

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 01:53:17 AM »
 The way the barrel is split looks wrong. something is not right about this story.
There is more to this than a dumb azz using Smokeless powder in a muzzle loader, and I DO NOT think it is a problem with the gun.

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 05:59:54 AM »
Dam,   

one very lucky bloke....
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk