Author Topic: Dad stepped into eternity this afternoon  (Read 13226 times)

brosometal

• Top Forum Member
  • Still a Grade A 1 smart donkey! DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dad stepped into eternity this afternoon
« on: February 12, 2010, 06:09:30 PM »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whanford/4352430966/

Today, a little after 3 p.m., my dad went home to his heavenly father.

I posted earlier that he had been taken off the respirator and was improving.  Well, after looking at his oxygen intake, his doctor decided to put him back on and ween him off slowly.  Well that was Feb 4th.  He finally was where his doctor thought he should be yesterday. When I spoke to my mom she mentioned that it was the first day he seemed to be doing really well.  Today, when she got to the hospital he was up and just back from his physical therapy, which consisted of getting out of bed and standing for about a minute and then getting over to chair to sit down.  He and my mom talked for a bit and he mentioned that he was really tired.  I still don't know all the details, but my mom called to tell me that he coded around 3 and was never resuscitated.

If you listened to my dad, he's been dying for about 2 1/2 years now.  He is prone to exaggeration, but he was a lot closer than I would give him credit for.  It has been amazing how many things have fallen into place in those 2 1/2 years.  I could give you a list a mile long.  When my mom called today to tell me that he was coding, I knew, deep down, that he was on his way home.

Now, we're one of those Christian families that you hear about.  We believe that if you are a believer: absent from the body is present with the Lord.  I know when my time here has run its course I, too, will step into eternity and be reunited.  While this gives me peace (Philippians 4:7), the next few days and weeks will be hard.  I would ask that you pray for my family, and especially my sister, Ruth.  Her road will be much harder.  She has a hard time letting go.  Your prayers for her will be much appreciated.   

Mom and Dad at Christmas
http://www.flickr.com/photos/whanford/4352475356/

Ruth and Dad 2006
http://www.flickr.com/photos/whanford/4352431048/in/set-72157623422991172/

I don't know all the details as of yet, but the funeral should be sometime next week, possibly next weekend.  Once I know some specifics, I will let everyone know.  There's no reason to send anything, but if you must, a card or note would be nice.  The best address would be:

The Hanfords
6190 Bur Oaks Lane
Naples, FL 34119

Thank you again for all your prayers.  They were not in vain.  My dad lived to see 72 years in January, and died with, as he liked to put it, his "first wife" at his side. 

The person who has nothing for which his is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J.S. Mill

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Re: Dad stepped into eternity this afternoon
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 06:14:33 PM »
I am so sorry to hear of you family's loss, Broso.

This is one of those situations where words can't do much to take away the loss, so please know that you and your family are being thought of and prayed for in your time of grief.

Peg
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 06:47:13 PM »
sorry to hear bro.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Ulmus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
    • Gunslinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 06:48:46 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm sure he knew how much he is loved and how much he loves all of you.  That is a great gift and you are right in the fact that he has found his way home again.

Prayers are given.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 06:53:47 PM »

Also, sorry for your loss, Broso. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:06:05 PM »

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 06:58:14 PM »
Broso, my condolences on the loss of your Dad to this mortal earth. But you are right, he has gone on to meet his Lord and Savior, and that is to be celebrated, as is his long life, his family, and the love you all so obviously shared. You are blessed. May God help you, your Mom and Ruth remember this and may that thought bring you all peace.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Timothy

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 06:59:43 PM »
God Bless your Father, your family and remain strong for your sister.  You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Tim & Sue

BAC

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 07:17:36 PM »
Sorry for your loss.

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 07:19:46 PM »
Sorry for your loss.

Don't use this time to focus on his death but to celebrate the life that he lived.
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 08:39:36 PM »
My most sincere condolences on the loss of your father.  Fathers have a special place in our lives.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk