Author Topic: Fred Thompson quits; may position himself for VP bid  (Read 2643 times)

hodman

• Very Active Forum Member
  • I just need faster reloads with my wallet
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fred Thompson quits; may position himself for VP bid
« on: January 22, 2008, 02:26:28 PM »

(Mary Ann Chastain/AP File)
Then-Republican presidential hopeful, former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson fields questions from the media during a campaign stop to talk to supporters in Prosperity, S.C. in this Jan. 17 file photo. Thompson has quit the presidential race, according to a statement. Jan 22, 2008 1:49 PM (34 mins ago) by Bill Sammon, The Examiner
Washington DC (Map, News) - Republican presidential candidate Fred Thompson dropped out of the race Tuesday and, according to a top adviser, can now position himself as a vice presidential candidate.

"We're all grownups in this game and he has said he's not going to be a hanger on," Thompson adviser Rich Galen told The Examiner, explaining Thompson's decision.

Thompson spent the last several days in Tennessee with his ailing mother, who is in her 90s, and he decided not to participate in Thursday's GOP debate in Florida, which holds its primary next Tuesday. Previously, Thompson never missed a debate, even if it was in a state where he was not actively campaigning.

Galen said Thompson could end up as vice president because he could mitigate the conservative shortcomings of potential nominees such as Rudy Giuliani.

"Having somebody like Thompson on the ticket, it seems to me, could go a long way toward unifying and energizing the base," Galen told The Examiner.

"I don't even know if he'd take it, although I'm not sure I've ever heard of anybody turning it down," he added. "He has said flat out he's not interested in becoming vice president, but that's what they all say."
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk