Author Topic: Adams Arms piston system  (Read 5948 times)

devil dog

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Adams Arms piston system
« on: May 15, 2010, 09:32:45 PM »
has any one installed and used the Adams Arms Piston system?  Seriously considering one, and looking for any thoughts, positive or negative.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 880
Re: Adams Arms piston system
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 10:12:28 PM »
Welcome devil dog!

I'm just keeping this up front for comment.  I have not installed one, but I have read and heard a lot of good about them.  I think someone on here has experience with them.  However, at my advanced age and regressing mental capacity I can't remember who  :'(

Hope we get some comments for you!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 11:58:41 AM »
I've been wanting to try one but I've heard you're really limited in your handguard/forend choices. I'm not sure exactly how much but that is the only negative I've heard.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

devil dog

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 04:26:19 PM »
I installed the system a shortly after this post.  Was extremely easy to install, less than an hour including removal of old stuff.  The kit came supplied with modified handgaurds that work, although they are larger in diameter than stock, they fit and function well.  I have put several hundreds rounds through the new set up with out any malfunction of any kind.  The really great part is cleaning after shooting.  After cleaning an M16 for 20 years for uncle sam, this is a dream come true.  And no more carbon build up in my bolt and carrier group.

semper fi

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 04:31:11 PM »
Thanks for the update.  Any pictures?
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:36:59 PM »

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 04:58:39 PM »
I installed the system a shortly after this post.  Was extremely easy to install, less than an hour including removal of old stuff.  The kit came supplied with modified handgaurds that work, although they are larger in diameter than stock, they fit and function well.  I have put several hundreds rounds through the new set up with out any malfunction of any kind.  The really great part is cleaning after shooting.  After cleaning an M16 for 20 years for uncle sam, this is a dream come true.  And no more carbon build up in my bolt and carrier group.

semper fi
I'm really interested in trying out one of these but I'm concerned it won't fit under my handguards. I don't really want to use theirs since all my rifles are set up with free float barrels and i don't want to give those up. How much extra space do you think they take up?
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

devil dog

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 09:20:44 PM »
Adams arms has published list of handguards that will fit.  they also have some pretty good dimensional drawings if you want to modify your own.

http://adamsarms.net/content.asp?content=3#qa1

Q. What handguards/rails can I use with this system?
A. This is the list of handguards we currently know will work with our system without any modifications, this list will be updated as more handguards are discovered to work with our system:

1.The Free Floating or Drop In rails available on our website manufactured by Samson for us
2.Samson Manufacturing Star-M-EX-P
3.Daniel Defense Omega Rails
4.Daniel Defense Lite Rails
5.Daniel Defense Omega X Rails
6.Daniel Defense 9.5 FSP Lite
7.Ergo Grip AR Z Float
8.Ergo Grip AR Z Rail
9.Midwest Industries Gas Piston Carbine Two Piece Free Float Forearm
10.Arms #50 Bi-Level S.I.R. System
11.Troy Industries MRF-DI
12.PRI Gen III Delta Carbon Fiber Forearm
13.The modified M4 style handguards provided with our standard system.

http://www.adamsarms.net/images/raildiagram.jpg  shows the dimensions to alter your current handgaurds

Hope this helps.

devil dog

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 07:17:46 AM »
Pictures--

I measured the distance above my M4 contoured barrel, about .520 at gas block.

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 08:46:04 AM »
Thanks, that's a pretty decent selection of handguards that work. I think I may have to try one out.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk