Author Topic: Happy belated birthday TO ME [WAS: What will you purchase next]  (Read 3278 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: Happy belated birthday TO ME [WAS: What will you purchase next]
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 01:06:22 PM »
Brief Range Report

Taurus 738:

I have two brands of ammo in stock, one a standard FMJ, the other an 88gr HP self-defense load (Master Ammo,  I think a Georgia ammo company) has the "flowered jacket around the cavity".

Anyway I tried the HP first and sure enough the lip of the HP caught on the feed ramp.   So I switched to FMJ and did forty rounds as quick as I could reload the magazines.   NO failures of any kind.   Then I loaded one magazine with 3 HP and with 3 FMJ on top.  All fired without a hitch, then a mag full of HP without a hitch.   The gun is small and does tend to twist slightly in my hand.   For accuracy you want to reposition your hand after each shot, but I purposely fired several 6 round mags rapidly, without  changing my grip.  And while it did twist some, it was still controllable and I did not feel like I was going to loose my grip. 

It's not that I'm sold on Taurus as better than the others, but this one works great.....and with two mags, the pouch and the last round holdopen, I really like it.

XD9 and XD40  Tacticals

Hey, I love the way these feel in my grip.  They feel better to me than the (M) models and most of the other polymers out there.  They performed flawlessly.   The XD9 was fed standard 124gr FMJ Federal stuff.  100rounds and not a hiccup.   The XD40 was fed 175 gr BB SWC lead handloads.  100rds also.  It too was flawless.  The extra length and weight of the Tactical is fantastic.    Both of these are competition guns and that's probably the only diet they'll be fed.    I can't wait to put the FO sights on.  I'm going to order the Maryland Gun Works (of Augusta GA) XD sight tool so I can do the work myself.   

Ruger 10/22

Next week, the Ruger goes to the outdoor range.   I want to modify the stock so bad, but I'll wait and get baseline accuracy with the standard stock.   For the time being, I'll put a 4-12x40mm scope on it.  Once I have the accuracy down then a holographic.  My intention is to hit one of the Ruger Rimfire matches, probably in NC since that's the closes.

Love my new toys.  Now how can I make some extra money to buy ammo...........and more toys?

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk