Author Topic: Lever Action Carbine?  (Read 25729 times)

kilopaparomeo

• Top Forum Member
  • My own private purgatory...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Lever Action Carbine?
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 09:03:10 PM »
I think they make pretty formidable weapons, SHTF guns, hunting and fun guns.

I don't have an extensive collection

Henry H001 .22 LR
Winchester 1873 .45 Colt
Winchester 1892 .45 Colt
Winchester 1894 .30-30

and I want a Marlin 1895 SBL .45-70
NRA Endowment Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Ultima Ratio Civis - "The last method of a citizen"

mtpockets

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 11:24:46 AM »
I had a Winchester model 94 trapper in 44 mag once upon a time.  Very nice to have around, and probably one of the most fun guns to shoot.  Shooting specials through it was like a grown ups pop gun.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 11:54:48 AM »
another thing to remember about a lever gun is you can 'top off' at any time.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 12:10:04 PM »
another thing to remember about a lever gun is you can 'top off' at any time.

I've always wanted a Savage 99 because it could be had with a detachable magazine for quick reloads.

Until it was mentioned here, I had not thought of the "reload on the fly" capability of tube magazine lever guns.

Good point and good feature.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 09:06:10 PM »
I've always wanted a Savage 99 because it could be had with a detachable magazine for quick reloads.

Until it was mentioned here, I had not thought of the "reload on the fly" capability of tube magazine lever guns.

Good point and good feature.

A Magazine is something you can lose, drop or have to reload BEFORE you can fight.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 01:54:10 AM »

dipisc

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 05:57:45 PM »
Hi;

Ooooo ,  so many toys and never enough money !

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 07:37:57 PM »
A Magazine is something you can lose, drop or have to reload BEFORE you can fight.
Yep, but you don't have that problem with clips. ;) Seriously, it is a tough call. Instant reload, versus something that can go wrong or get lost. With a lever, I go with the Cat on this one. Tubes for my levers, clips for the SKS, MAGS for the AR and beer for the horses. ;D
FQ13

hollandm

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 08:42:09 PM »
So, if I were to be in the market for a 336 at a flea market/gun show I'm attending tomorrow is there anything to look for that might typically be broken/worn?

Any pointers are appreciated.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2010, 07:06:49 AM »
So, if I were to be in the market for a 336 at a flea market/gun show I'm attending tomorrow is there anything to look for that might typically be broken/worn?

Any pointers are appreciated.

The loading port cover (should not be too slack), the entire lever action should be smooth, not chunky with harder spots in cycling, should also not be too easy or feel to free to cycle, you'll know the difference.

The safeties, inspect the action closely, alot of things are happening inside the receiver, in a short motion.

Otherwise, its a visual thing and of course is the stock beat up,..etc,... try to bring a small flashlight or white napkin and take a quick glance down the barrel, with the light or napkin in the receiver end, action open,...Full of hairballs? Oil? Dirt? How's the rifling?

Give it a good once over, and let us know if you find a nice one. They are out there at a fair price.

FWIW, my humble .02 cents.. ;D
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 07:12:27 AM »
The loading port cover (should not be too slack), the entire lever action should be smooth, not chunky with harder spots in cycling, should also not be too easy or feel to free to cycle, you'll know the difference.

The safeties, inspect the action closely, alot of things are happening inside the receiver, in a short motion.

Otherwise, its a visual thing and of course is the stock beat up,..etc,... try to bring a small flashlight or white napkin and take a quick glance down the barrel, with the light or napkin in the receiver end, action open,...Full of hairballs? Oil? Dirt? How's the rifling?

Give it a good once over, and let us know if you find a nice one. They are out there at a fair price.

FWIW, my humble .02 cents.. ;D
Its worth more than $.02. What's also worth more than the asking price is a bore light. I'm not talking pro-grade here, just the doo-hickeys you srcew on to a mini mag. The few bucks you pay for one at a gun show will pay for itself the first time you look at a rifle and say, "Thanks but no". Just sayin'
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk