Author Topic: Bill would free guns  (Read 7521 times)

tombogan03884

Bill would free guns
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:42:10 AM »
Considering the current Dem dominated State Gov I think this has about as much chance as a snowflake in Hell, but here's hoping.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/statenewengland/554043-227/bill-would-free-guns.html

CONCORD – Advocates for state rights and gun ownership want to require that guns made and used only in New Hampshire be free from all federal taxes and regulation.

If the measure is adopted, New Hampshire would be the first state in the country where federal officials could be criminally prosecuted for trying to enforce federal laws or rules regarding these weapons.

“This is about protecting the rights of our citizens when the federal government has no jurisdiction,” said state Rep. Daniel Itse, R-Fremont, the bill’s prime sponsor.

New Hampshire is home to a few major gunmakers, Sturm Ruger & Co. in Newport, Sigarms Inc. in Exeter and Thompson/Center Arms in Rochester.

Itse said he fully expects these gunmakers would not seek this tax- and regulatory-free protection for their products. All are federally licensed makers and have lucrative sales with law enforcement agencies outside New Hampshire, he explained.

“Who this really is going to affect are gunsmiths in New Hampshire who make guns in ones and twos,” Itse said.

The bill (HB 1285) would require these guns be stamped as “Made in New Hampshire.”

Rep. Michael Kappler, R-Raymond, said it would also protect those possessing or selling these guns if the federal government ever outlawed retail sales.

“As long as you were only involved in intrastate sale of guns with this you could still remain in the business,” Kappler said.

Last year, Itse led a legislative campaign generally on state rights that prompted 10 to 20 supporters to wear guns in the House galley and loudly protest the House vote to kill the proposal.

This prompted Democratic leaders in the Legislature last month to ban the possession of guns or dangerous weapons throughout the Statehouse complex.

Wednesday’s hearing on this bill went off without incident as about 20 supporters quietly sat or stood listening to supporters make their case for it.

Rep. Edward Butler, D-Harts Location, questioned whether the bill would mean these New Hampshire guns could be sold without criminal background checks now required under federal law.

Itse said private gunmakers know it’s against state law to sell guns to minors and other “prohibited persons.”

He claimed they would seek a state police background check if they suspected the buyer had a criminal record.

“Any private businessman is going to make darn sure he doesn’t sell a gun to a known felon,” Itse said.

State Rep. Jill Hammond, D-Peterborough, said anyone buying these guns could not take them if they moved or use them to defend themselves outside New Hampshire.

“This seems to be very restrictive to the person buying the gun rather than consumer protection,” Hammond said.

Penny Dean, a Concord lawyer specializing in firearms issues, said many states have varying restrictions on sold products from knives to automobile parts.

“There are a lot of products you buy in this country that can’t travel by interstate commerce,” Dean noted.

Lawmakers in Texas, Tennessee and Montana have passed similar laws about guns made and sold in those states. This would be the first state to spell out criminal penalties for those trying to enforce federal laws or regulations.

Some supporters claim bills on the subject have been introduced before lawmakers in 13 states this year.

Under Itse’s bill, federal officials trying to impose federal taxes or rules on such guns could face a prison term of up to seven years. Local or state public officials, including judges acting on behalf of the federal government, could face to a year in prison.

Dean said the Gun Owners of New Hampshire support the concept of the bill.

She said these small gunmakers not only would avoid federal license fees if this became law but what she called “overreaching” by regulators about the paperwork they all must submit.

“This would give these New Hampshire residents the option to get out from under all of that,” Dean said.

Others supporting the bill included representatives with the National Rifle Association, New Hampshire Liberty Alliance and New Hampshire Libertarian Party.

No one appeared Wednesday to oppose the bill.

Kevin Landrigan can be reached at 321-7040 or klandrigan@nashuatelegraph.com.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bill would free guns
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 12:48:04 PM »
Bill would give everyone free guns

Better  ;D
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 10:44:49 PM »
 I like it better that way too  ;D
I'll fill out federal forms for a week if the gun comes free, 1 week to write, one week to soak my arm, Repeat.
That's 26 guns a year YEE HAH   ;D

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 05:28:31 PM »
Sounds kind of similar to Montana, are there any differences? Guns Manufactured in a given state, and stay in the state, are free from Fed reg's?

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

seeker_two

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 06:05:24 PM »
I like Bill.....he should be celebrated, not persecuted...

http://davesdailydose.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/funny_bill-stickers-innocent.jpg
Why, yes....I'm the right-wing extremist Obama warned you about... ;D

I just wish Texas was as free and independent as everyone thinks it is...   :'(

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:58:47 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 06:09:23 PM »
Sounds kind of similar to Montana, are there any differences? Guns Manufactured in a given state, and stay in the state, are free from Fed reg's?

I don't think there are any differences. I assume the poorly informed reporter just screwed up when he said it would be a first.
It's a Newspaper, don't tell me you expect them to have the details right .

Dagger53

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 03:52:39 PM »
I don't think there are any differences. I assume the poorly informed reporter just screwed up when he said it would be a first.
It's a Newspaper, don't tell me you expect them to have the details right .

I think the reporter means the first to set the rules for prosecuting any one that tries to enforce fed law on state gun makers

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 05:46:20 PM »
It won't go anywhere. Of our 3 gun companies , Thompson Center is owned by out of state S&W which has Govt contracts to consider, Ruger has Facilities in 2 other states, and Sig has Govt. contracts to worry about.

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 10:01:56 PM »
Tom, will you be finally buy a full auto weapon if this bill passes? You know I would be very proud of you!

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 10:32:11 PM »
 I can now, it's not the LAW that prevents it, it the PRICE  ;D Same with suppressors, Short barreled rifles, and any other NFA weapons, in fact a guy at work has a MAC and a Browning .30 cal.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk