Author Topic: "Pistol Shotguns" now legal to purchase with only 4473 form?  (Read 9179 times)

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Pistol Shotguns" now legal to purchase with only 4473 form?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 04:12:54 PM »
Side question on this issue:
A friend has a single shot shotgun that had the barrel damaged and in order to cut it and recrown it, would put it just under 18". Replacement barrels are not produced and he has searched the net and gun shows, but to no avail.
Now, on to the rat killin', could he apply for an AOW stamp and then have the barrel cut down?

I've looked into some things, but had not thought of the AOW category.....thanks.
The issue you'll have here is that it (I assume) came from the factory with a shoulder stock. You can only AOW a shotgun that came from the factory with a pistol grip and never had a shoulder stock installed. If it has or has ever had a shoulder stock you'd need to apply for the manufacture of a short barreled shotgun on a form 1 and pay a $200 stamp. It sounds like your best bet for your situation would be to get some type of muzzle device like either a breacher attachment if you want to go tactical or something like the old style adjustable choke if you wanted a hunting shotgun. You could cut the barrel down to the length you need or shorter then permanently attach the muzzle device. As long as the final O.A.L. was over 18" you'd be good with no ATF paperwork. As an example some of the breacher devices out there are around 3.5" O.A.L. so you could cut the barrel to say 14.6" then attach the device to give you a perfectly legal O.A.L. of 18.1" (I always like to have a little wiggle room in case you encounter a BATFE agent with a "government measuring tape")
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 04:24:43 PM »
The issue you'll have here is that it (I assume) came from the factory with a shoulder stock. You can only AOW a shotgun that came from the factory with a pistol grip and never had a shoulder stock installed. If it has or has ever had a shoulder stock you'd need to apply for the manufacture of a short barreled shotgun on a form 1 and pay a $200 stamp. It sounds like your best bet for your situation would be to get some type of muzzle device like either a breacher attachment if you want to go tactical or something like the old style adjustable choke if you wanted a hunting shotgun. You could cut the barrel down to the length you need or shorter then permanently attach the muzzle device. As long as the final O.A.L. was over 18" you'd be good with no ATF paperwork. As an example some of the breacher devices out there are around 3.5" O.A.L. so you could cut the barrel to say 14.6" then attach the device to give you a perfectly legal O.A.L. of 18.1" (I always like to have a little wiggle room in case you encounter a BATFE agent with a "government measuring tape")

Thanks for the reply.
I had initially told him to look into one of those weld-on permanent comp/choke set ups like they sell in Brownells, so I guess I was on the right track. I read a lot of info on ATF's site, but some of the language gets confusing to this bumpkin.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 04:56:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
I had initially told him to look into one of those weld-on permanent comp/choke set ups like they sell in Brownells, so I guess I was on the right track. I read a lot of info on ATF's site, but some of the language gets confusing to this bumpkin.
No, their language is done that way on purpose, it gets confusing to anyone. You can also call them and get a different answer from each person you speak to. After all it is the BATFE - Bureau of Ambiguous yet Tyrannical Firearms Enforcement. ;D
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 05:48:17 PM »
here is an article From S. Wenger and DUF mailer on the subject along with a link to D. Corderas blog

Own a Pistol-Grip Shotgun?: An interpretation by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives that pistol grip shotguns are not shotguns has created an unforeseen legal liability for owners of such firearms.  ATF’s Nov. 2009 FFL Newsletter declared: “Certain commercially produced firearms do not fall within the definition of shotgun under the GCA even though they utilize a shotgun shell for ammunition. For example, firearms that come equipped with a pistol grip in place of the buttstock are not shotguns as defined by the GCA.” Here’s another wrinkle, from Mike Vanderboegh at Sipsey Street Irregulars: “An October 27, 2010, letter from the Firearms Technology Branch ruled that such a firearm, with a 17" barrel and 26-1/4" overall length, was not subject to the National Firearms Act.” …That would seem to indicate there’s no issue with violating National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR) requirements, right?  No worries if you own one, or want to buy one…? Not so fast.  If the pistol grip firearms are not “shotguns,” what are they? … (Personally, I’ve only seen one person – a list member I count among my mentors – who could hit reliably at distances better measured in yards than in feet with a 12-gauge shotgun that lacked a buttstock.)

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/atf-position-on-pistol-grip-shotguns-creates-new-danger
---
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk