Author Topic: Grog and now Bumbo  (Read 11711 times)

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Grog and now Bumbo
« on: December 10, 2010, 10:39:52 AM »
being a bit of a sailor man hisself my new boss gave me a bottle of Pussers Rum for Christmas and shared with me a recipie for Grog

2 oz Dark Rum
2 oz Soda Water
1/2 oz lime juice
1 t sugar

serve over ice

That Pussers Rum is good stuff - supposed to be the exact same stuff issued by the Royal Navy until it was done away with in the 70's

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

tombogan03884

Re: Grog
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 12:35:06 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that the RN used plain "fresh" water so the sailors had to drink it immediately, rather than saving up their "tot's" for a drunk. Another benefit was that the Captian could be sure the men were getting their vitamin C to prevent scurvy.
This was also the origin of the term "Limey" in reference to the English.
Another bit of English drinking trivia, The idea of the "Sundowner", What we refer to as Gin and Tonic, comes from the days of British colonies in the far East where Malaria was common.
Medical Officers found that a daily dose of Quinine would prevent the disease, the problem was that quinine tastes awful, so Gin was added to cover the taste.
Since every one in the colony was required to take their daily dose it became a daily social occasion when people would get together at the end of the day.  

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 02:21:06 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that the RN used plain "fresh" water so the sailors had to drink it immediately, rather than saving up their "tot's" for a drunk. Another benefit was that the Captian could be sure the men were getting their vitamin C to prevent scurvy.
Another bit of English drinking trivia, The idea of the "Sundowner", What we refer to as Gin and Tonic, comes from the days of British colonies in the far East where Malaria was common.
Medical Officers found that a daily dose of Quinine would prevent the disease, the problem was that quinine tastes awful, so Gin was added to cover the taste.
Since every one in the colony was required to take their daily dose it became a daily social occasion when people would get together at the end of the day.  

seeing as I go to many malaria infested places... I too have made it a part of my daily routine.  ;D
love it,
deepwater
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 03:04:24 PM »
Sounds like an excuse to get drunk!  I never needed one!!!!!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 03:50:42 PM »
Tom,
Great English drinking trivia. Here is another to tap your vast store of arcane English drinking trivia.
Tell us about how the term martini came to be used for a drink. And while you are at it, tell us what booze, gin or vodka, was used on the frontier of the empire for this evil concoction.

Sponsor

Re: Grog and now Bumbo
« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:31:56 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 03:59:55 PM »
Bill, you got me stumped on this one .
But since Martini was a Victorian era British Army rifle I will guess that Gin is the proper spirit.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 04:38:43 PM »
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 05:15:46 PM »
My years behind the bar bring back the memory of an old Mixoligist book that I had behind the bar had the original mix for the Martini that consisted of the following.

Martini

5 parts dry Vermouth
1 part gin,
garnished with an olive.

Today, you fill a mixer with Bombay Sapphire or other top shelf gin and introduce the booze to the Vermouth from about a foot away without actually using any Vermouth.....

Add an olive for a Martini or an onion for a Gibson...

If you want a Vodka Martini, you should order it that way.  Gin has always been the original Martini alcohol...

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 10:15:37 AM »
While there is no empirical evidence that I have ever actually practiced temperance, I would sound a cautionary note about Pusser's:  Yes, it is delicious, but it has a very high residual sugar content which will lend itself to installing pounding hangovers.  ???

Unlike nearly ever other adult beverage, I would encourage moderation in the application of Pusser's. ;)
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 04:58:22 PM »
Tom, Pegleg and Timothy,

Thanks for the link and the info from a bar tenders perspective.

The Old Army line on the martini has it that its name comes from the KICK -- capitalization on purpose -- of the drink and the Martini Rifle both being whoppers. The same oral history has it that a true martini is always made with gin. The vermouth that I find the best is Boissiere. If you can't find that Noilly Prat is said to be very good as well. I haven't needed to open my Noilly Prat bottle in about 15 years as I still have a few inches of Boissiere in my "new" bottle that is over 20 years old. We like our martinis very, very dry. And, truth be told we don't drink them all that much at home. For myself, I prefer Scotch -- single malt or Famous Grouse on the rocks. But I do like martinis on occasion if I do not have to drive.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk