Author Topic: AR15 Competitions.....  (Read 2995 times)

langloisandy

• Very Active Forum Member
    • Andys Leather!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AR15 Competitions.....
« on: July 09, 2010, 02:21:56 PM »
Downrangers,

I have a few local shooters who want to try their hand at competition... There is not much 3 Gun action here in New England, but we/they could travel.

What other competitions are using AR's?

Thanks,

Andy
Andy
www.andysleather.com
Ask me about Scout Rifle Slings ( www.scoutrifle.org )

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: AR15 Competitions.....
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 04:31:08 PM »
These guys put on some great matches. David Tapp, range officers and the fellow shooters are extremely nice folks.

http://www.scssa.org/toppage2.htm

They have a match on the 5 Saturdays of a mount, typically 3-4 times a year.

I've missed the last years matches do to work but lots of folks here travel to Hoover to shoot.  I'll pick up again later this year.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 07:47:40 PM »
Andy, 1st decide if they want run and gun, or accuracy, or tactical/Sd, after that, for run and gun, contact Idpa, USPSA, if for practical to a point, U.S. Service rifle through the NRA, or the Appleseed project, and if you have a range that will allow it, develop your own, I would be glad to point you in the right direction for running your own matches. Home grown, you need some good rules and some good guidelines for making a fun, yet challenging match, or as we say " course of fire ". but you don't have to drive a long way to do it, and from your shooters view, you can customize for their specific wants.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

ord03

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:05:43 PM »
If you cannot shoot center-fire AR's at your range, there are the 22LR options (dedicated upper, conversion kits, or 22LR only, such as the S&W M&P 15-22's) with which you can set up a pretty interesting match.  We shoot a 22LR match in the Dallas area monthly, using lots of small falling steel, and it's great fun.  Limited to about 25 yards max on the ranges we use, but you can get the same experience of shooting on the move, reloading, shooting around barricades and the like.  Might be an option for other ranges where limited space is available.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:12:59 PM »
If you want local AR practical matches, my advice is not to limit it to ARs. Rather open it to tacical rifles. Let the guys with AKs, Mini-14s, Garands etc. play too. That way you will get a much larger field. You can still have prizes for "best in class" like ARs, or carbine etc., but you will get more folks involved. Just a thought if you're looking to expanding a pool of 5 guys to maybe 20 or so for a viable match.
FWIW
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:58:05 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 11:21:17 PM »
For M25, Ord03 and FQ,
None of you guy's are answering Andy's problem.
It is not a matter of deciding what type of competition they want to shoot, basically, there is none.
The only Rifle competition for AR's offered around here is service rifle, in other words, full size AR rifle only, nothing for Carbines.
The only 3 gun shooting is CAS and in 3 States I have only heard of one range that even offers that.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 11:32:56 PM »
Maybe try to get one started. There have to be a fair few guys with EBRs and the like. Talk to a range or two and find a sponsor. That shouldn't be too hard (free money). Then get gunshops to post flyers. Find a geek to do a web page "right wing nut jobs .com' ;) and see what shakes loose. Hell, the local NRA has to be good for something. A PITA, but if it ain't there, build it. As long as you aren't offering prize money or anything, getting a bunch of guys toghther to shoot isn't that hard. Its just getting RSOs refs and scoring folks as well as Bubbas BBQ wagon (or is that chowdah cart ;)) to show up. Once its been done once, these things take on a life of their own. Just my .02. :-\
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 09:07:43 AM »
Get the local Boy Scout's or some such group to do the food vending.
Use entry fee's to finance "Prize money".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk