Author Topic: First time AR Purchase question  (Read 6380 times)

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: First time AR Purchase question
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 07:05:55 PM »
WD40 is great for a lot of things, but not for guns.

I used it for a long time. Found that it leaves a film that turns to gum and stops things up.

I now use Breakfree or CLP as stated in the manual for my AR. But when I was still on active duty 22 years ago I heard stories of units using motor oil with good effect. I was an Ordinance Officer at the time, but working on tactical vehicles not pistols or rifles.

After I retired I worked for General Motors and saw a demonstration of MilTech that impressed me very much. I use MilTech on my pistols.

I think the important thing for most of us is to keep the stuff that is supposed to be wet, wet with good oil, and motor oil or Mobil 1 are good oils.

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 07:12:56 PM »
Put that extra 1/2 Qt of Mobil 1 on the cleaning table. Never heard of that before. Certainly makes sense. Thanks, Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 07:20:11 PM »
I use MilTech on my pistols.

Bill, do you use the Miltec grease?
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 08:08:42 PM »
Don,

I use the oil. I am still working on the supply they gave me at the demo 20 years ago. The point being that a little goes a long way. On my SIGs I put a drop on the rails, a drop on the barrel, a drop on the hammer face, a drop at the locking surface on the breach and run a patch with a drop or so down the barrel. I probably am over stating the drops here because I move the oil around with a Q tip putting it where ever there is a bright spot showing wear.

I use the grease on my M1 and M1 Carbine at the spots it shows in the manual. That is the op rod and locking surfaces. Why the difference? Old habits die hard. I tend to stick with what works. I also use the Remington [RIG] hinge grease for these applications if I have it out on the bench.

But as an engineer I still like to try new stuff out to see if it is any better. That and field reports is why I dumped WD40 for guns.

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 11:22:21 PM »
Tried WD-40 on my semi-auto duck gun....ONCE
Hunting ducks with a single shot is a bitch!! Gummed it up so it wouldn't cycle
A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:04:25 PM »

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 07:55:50 PM »
I too use Break Free CLP. I work with an ex-Marine and know of another ex-National Guardsman.. both say they used it on their military tours. I use it on my Glocks too.. works well.   //  yeah difference in 1-2-3 is noted basically as prior post..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk