Author Topic: New lightweight AR build for my son  (Read 4042 times)

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New lightweight AR build for my son
« on: February 10, 2011, 04:12:42 PM »
I wanted to try to find the perfect mix of lightweight and low recoil for my son. I also wanted to do a build with no intention of using an optic. I decided on using Magpul MOE furniture since it's light, durable and functional. I used a MIAD grip so I can easily change it from a large grip for me to a small grip for him. I tried out the Tru-Glow fiber optic front sight with illumination. I really like this sight and would recommend it way before using a cheap optic. I'm running a mid-length gas system with the Endyne hydraulic recoil buffer in it with a Troy Industries muzzle brake and the recoil is almost non-existent. It feels like shooting a .22. Total weight unloaded is right around 6.5 lbs. I've been carrying it broken down in my SO Tech Go Bag. The rifle with 5 mags and tons of gear in a pretty small, discreet package:

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: New lightweight AR build for my son
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 04:33:02 PM »
Looks like one sweet setup.  That's one lucky kid.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 06:04:27 PM »
Very sweet!  What kind of foregrip is that?  I have the YHM floating with no rails, except on the gas block.  I too am looking for the minimal recoil approach to my carbine AR. AND, I would like to put a Magpul Stock, on my Sig556, and probably a Troy Brake as well.

I too have not jumped on the optic/red dot bandwagon for my new build.

Good shooting.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 09:36:47 PM »
Very sweet!  What kind of foregrip is that?  I have the YHM floating with no rails, except on the gas block.  I too am looking for the minimal recoil approach to my carbine AR. AND, I would like to put a Magpul Stock, on my Sig556, and probably a Troy Brake as well.

I too have not jumped on the optic/red dot bandwagon for my new build.

Good shooting.

The foregrip is the Magpul MOE stubby grip that attaches directly to the MOE handguards without a rail. It makes a nice smooth package and really works as more of a handstop. I really like the Troy muzzle device because even though it's primarily a brake it also controls the flash pretty well. Usually it's an either/or trade off but this does pretty good on both. The barrel was done by Adco, it's turned down to .625" the full length so it swings really nice.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

breezzer99

• Active Forum Member
  • trust your finger it says I twitch you die
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 02:01:29 PM »
wanna adopt me Im house broke

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:47:14 AM »

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 02:51:44 PM »
Very nice, well done bafsu92!
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

bsmith_shoot

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 06:55:18 PM »
Very sweet KISS rifle! What sling you using? Who makes the upper? I saw the Doublestar lower, nice choice! I live about 30 minutes from their factory, and use their stuff often in my builds. Thats one very lucky kid!

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 09:39:17 PM »
Very sweet KISS rifle! What sling you using? Who makes the upper? I saw the Doublestar lower, nice choice! I live about 30 minutes from their factory, and use their stuff often in my builds. Thats one very lucky kid!
The upper is a Cerro Forge, no finish manufacturer markings. I picked up about 6 of them on gunbroker a while back. The sling is a Blackhawk, I can't remember the model right offhand but it has a few different mounting options. I agree on the Doublesatar lowers, I've used a few and they are as good as any forged lower out there and the finish work is better than a lot of more expensive/popular brands. They make a nice 1911 too.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk