Author Topic: Anyone Had Cyst Surgery ?  (Read 15748 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Anyone Had Cyst Surgery ?
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 12:44:55 PM »
They haven't said anything about "packing" the wound with gauze. It had some in with the original bandage I had on it from the hospital, but I changed that yesterday, and again this morning with just a gauze covering and some tape. I've got a bunch of surgical dressings and gauze bandages. The doctor is supposed to call today with more "instructions". I'm not holding my breath. I just hope the thing doesn't start itching and driving me nuts.   Bill T.

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 01:21:51 PM »
You want to keep the wound bed moist to promote growth of granulation tissue. We usually just do wet to dry dressing. There are a lot of fancy gauzes and dressings out there that may work but I don't think you need to worry about it in your case.

"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 01:50:06 PM »
Just for fun, this is some of the goop I squeezed out of someones back. This doesn't include what squirted on the wall and floor. I can't even begin to describe the smell. I need a raise.  ;D
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 02:17:07 PM »
+1 on what Junkie said about the wound-vac. I don't know if it is a viable option regarding the size of your wound, but it kept me from being an above-the-knee amputee and kept me away from many of the usual bouts of infection (and resultant tissue removal) usually associated with the type of dirty wounds (lots of trash, dirt, and debris) I had. My doctors were amazed that I never experienced any type of infections after all the severe trauma to the tissue and 15 surgeries. I credit the wound-vac, the tediousness of care of the nursing staff, and how well they trained my wife for the after-care at home.

Also, ask about the non-stick wet-style gauze pads. They don't stick to the wound and make bandage changes easier. I think they are coated with an anti-bacterial vaseline based ointment, but still allow the wound to breathe.
Junkie pretty much nailed it, though......wash hands and clean, clean, clean.

Either way, good luck on the healing and I hope you mend well.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 02:17:50 PM »
I had two 4-inch fatty tumors removed from my back. One side was bleeding really bad internally. They cut me open and shoved a few wet sponges in the hole and dry gauze over top of that. A visiting nurse came by every day to change the dressings. After a month or so the hole was small enough not to put any sponges in so the nurse quit coming. I had to bandage it myself from then on. The doctor told me to let water blow in there when I take a shower. He sent me back to work with a hole still in my back. I didn't take any antibiotics and didn't need any.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 10:14:36 PM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 03:09:39 PM »
Thanks 1911. How long before you think it will dry up enough so it won't require a bandage? I'm surprised it isn't leaking more than it is, considering how large of a wound it is.  Bill T.

Drying it up is all you are worried about?  A gauze pad soaked in Viscerol 30 placed on the wound for two hours and then twelve hours in open air will be dried up for good.  If you want I can PM you a funeral home that will soak the gauze for you at no cost, or for $3.50 + UPS I'll send you a pint  ;)

Sorry, but between the problems of many friends and a couple major pot holes here at home I needed to just be me for a minute.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 04:06:50 PM »
The doctor told me to let water blow in there when I take a shower. He sent me back to work with a hole still in my back. I didn't take any antibiotics and didn't need any.

That's exactly what my doctor just told me. Hard to believe they want all that meat exposed to the Shower-Massage? Melanie just repacked it with wet gauze per his instructions.  Bill T.

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 04:25:56 PM »
That's exactly what my doctor just told me. Hard to believe they want all that meat exposed to the Shower-Massage? Melanie just repacked it with wet gauze per his instructions.  Bill T.

Now where did you hear that before?  :P

The water from the shower will help keep it clean and can also stimulate tissue growth.

Timothy

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 04:26:55 PM »
Junkie describes exactly what they did for me when I had my accident.  I ended up with a three inch diagonal crater in my chest/sternum below my throat from something I hit or hit me.

It was devoid of any skin, about 3/4" deep and nasty looking.  I have some pics here somewhere.  It took daily dressing changes while I was in the hospital.  Usually by the most beautiful girl I think I've ever seen who was the third shift RN fresh out of Baylor.  It was always a pleasure to see her......really sweet Texas beauty!  I fell in love every day...

Anyway, it healed, looks nasty and doesn't bother me..

Good luck!

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 04:33:28 PM »
Nurse wife totally agreed with wet/dry rotation.  It will be a slow pot hole to fill, and Vicodin is a weird drug. It is the only thing I ever tell doctors I can't take.

Stock up on dressings, tape, etc,... All previous postings are spot on.

Except the one where,....we tell you to suck it up, and walk it off..... ;D

Don't let it stay too wet or too dry for too long. Eat well, lots of Vitamin E, zinc, and C.  

Watch the PSI of the shower, the new tissue can easily be flushed/blasted out, and extend the heal time.

All the best. Get the wife to dress up in one of those nurse uniforms with the white stockings,.... ;)

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk