Author Topic: Didn't Get the Memo on Wolf Ammo!  (Read 15416 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Didn't Get the Memo on Wolf Ammo!
« on: March 10, 2008, 07:56:21 PM »
Purchased a new Sig 556 for and finally had a chance to load up and shoot it. Bought some Wolf "Performance Ammunition", 55GR. FMJ Steel Case , Non-Corrosive Boxer Primed, Russian made ammo because it was "cheaper". BIG MISTAKE!

It would not load the next round after chambering the first one. Examining the shells in the mag, the bolt nicked the rim and scratched the case, but failed to extract from the magazine and chamber.

The Sig had to be "racked" everytime. Its like a brand new Corvette with bald tires!

Got disgusted after several attempts with different mags. Than loaded one with Remington Express 223 55GR. PSP.
Worked like a champ, lit up like it should and never missed a beat!

Trying to save a couple of bucks on ammo doesn't pay-off. Than I hear the gray coating on the Wolf ammo case is causing problems for others I know with Bushmasters and other similiar AR style rifles.

Bottom Line: Rifle over a thousand dollars doesn't deserve cheap ammo!

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Didn't Get the Memo on Wolf Ammo!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 08:42:32 PM »
I call BS on this, Ive heard alot of problems with the Sig rifle, I shoot wolf in everything I have never a problem . I would look at the rifle first.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 08:50:02 PM »
I have also read the praises and criticisms of the Sig 556, and would have come to your conclusion as well, right up until I reloaded with the Remington ammo, and the problem went away. Granted this is a new rifle and may "loosen up" after more rounds. I have also read, researched and heard about the criticisms of ammo from Chile, Russia, Israel, Turkey, etc.. and just wonder if the ever so slight differences in manufacturing may play a role in a brand new rifle. BS or not, I'm just sharing my experience.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 02:24:55 AM »
I've seldom heard anything good about Wolf, A freind of mine had the exact same problem with an Olympic AR, every other brand including assorted surplus worked fine, Wolf was jam after jam.

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 07:42:35 AM »
My Rock River AR didn't have a problem with the 200 or so Wolf and Golden Bear Russian ammo I put through it right after I picked it up.  It was a little dirtier than after the Federal I picked up later on but not to the point of worrying about it.  The groupings were OK but part of that was the front sight was loose.  For cheap pracice ammo I'd buy it again.  Pistol ammo is a different story.  My G23 didin't like the Wolf 40.  It didn't jam but the group was crap.
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:58:51 PM »

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 08:07:25 AM »
I've not had any problems with Wolf .223 55gr and 62gr.  Accurate enough to hit a man-sized target at 300 meters in competition.
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 01:38:43 PM »
I have fired thousands of rounds of Wolf Polymer, no problem

Wolf tends to be under powered, and from what you describe, it was not enough to push the bolt back far enough to catch the next round.  Did the bolt lock back after the last round was fired?

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 02:10:14 PM »
I shot a full case of Wolf 9mm through my P226 w/o issues. But then I cleaned it after every range session of 50 to 100 rounds.  I do not think there was any significant advantage to it as I buy 9mm by the case when it is on sale at WalMart, Gander Mt, Bass Pro or a local chain, Dunhams, here in Michigan.

Then later the range / club where I shoot indoors banned all Wolf ammo. Seems there were too many problems there with it. This is a range that it is OK to shoot full auto and .50 BMG! But they are serious about not shooting Wolf there. They have instituted a hefty fine and posted that it is banned very prominently. Oh, BTW they used to sell Wolf there as well. Not anymore.

I did hear alot about it being dirty ammo when I shot it from others there. I think it has a steel core that some don't like. And I know some AR owners manuals say not to shoot it.

Bottom line: I do not buy Wolf anymore and don't miss it. I use mostly Winchester white box and Remington UMC for practice. I also have found some CCI Brass Blazers from time to time at Walmart.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 03:01:51 PM »
There is an old wives tale about the older wolf with the lacquered case would gum up the chamber when it got hot, this is not true. I shoot wolf in My Bushmaster and AK along with my 1911 and my .40 been shooting it for years with no problems. Don't think I would want a gun you couldn't run cheap ammo in, I want to be able to shoot anything I can get. Sure I would like to shoot the best ammo made but its not practical and too expensive. Good luck with that Sig, maybe it just needs breaking in, but others have had feeding problems too.,
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

LMIB

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 07:05:10 PM »
I've never had a problem with Wolf in my Mini 14 and Mini 30.
You've come a far piece pilgrim.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk