Author Topic: Catching up....so what have I missed?  (Read 5118 times)

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Catching up....so what have I missed?
« on: May 06, 2011, 02:27:33 AM »
Hi everybody,

I have been really super busy with work, so I have been away for a while.  Just curious, what have I missed? 

The Cliff's note version for me is I have been able to buy some toys...an ELCAN (fancy scope), an AR chambered in 7.62X39mm, a wire welder, a plasma cutter, and a MacBook Pro. 

And the really big thing I got was a Weimaraner puppy.  This is back in February.

I won't bore ya'll with all the details, but he is/was off of Craig's List.

Oh, yeah, I became the match director for a new USPSA club.

Soooo....what have I missed out on around here?

Any good threads?

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Catching up....so what have I missed?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 02:32:20 AM »
I think you started the most important one. He's a sweetie. Are you going to hunt him or run him in NAVDA trials?
FQ13 who is always a sucker for a bird dog pup.

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 03:02:17 AM »
I got him from an animal shelter in Springfield, MO, actually.  His brother was actually posted up on St. Louis Craig's List.  I waited a few days and emailed the folks via Craig's List saying basically, "that is such a good looking pup I bet he is already taken."  They replied back with, "yeah, he is taken but he has a brother who is being fostered right now."  So I had to jump through some hoops and have my old veterinarian give me a good reference.  On Feb 13th,  I drove the 4 or 5 hours one way down to Springfield, MO to look at him, fill out the paperwork, pay the fee, etc...etc...to complete the "adoption".

Sooo...I have no idea if he would actually be allowed to compete considering he didn't come with any papers/is not AKC registered. And he'll be getting neutered soon.

I guess he is about 5 to 6 months old, and probably close to 50 pounds now.  I have him...errr...me enrolled in a puppy obedience class through PetSmart.  We meet once a week for 6 weeks.

And I gotta tell you, there is just something about a dog trainer's personality or vibe that they put out  that just makes a dog pay attention, respond, and learn.  It is amazing to watch.

I don't have any hunting land, and I don't know anybody that has any hunting or farmland, but yeah, ideally I would like to have him trained well enough to take him out to the field and have him not embarass me.

I'm not really a shotgun'er either. 

The other dog I had before (1995-2005) was a Vizsla that I also picked up at a shelter.

for those following along at home, if you're looking for a particular breed of dog (or cat or horse...whatever) then you can go to www.petfinder.com ....register, login and have it set up so that you get email updates when a particular breed puppy, or even adult dog becomes available in your area.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 04:58:59 AM »
Tyler, wonderful pup!  I had a friend who raised Weimaraners.  Wonderful dogs.  Enjoy.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 05:20:54 AM »
Hey welcome back.  Sorry you've been so bored ;)

All very neat toys. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:39:43 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 06:49:14 AM »
I got him from an animal shelter in Springfield, MO, actually.  His brother was actually posted up on St. Louis Craig's List.  I waited a few days and emailed the folks via Craig's List saying basically, "that is such a good looking pup I bet he is already taken."  They replied back with, "yeah, he is taken but he has a brother who is being fostered right now."  So I had to jump through some hoops and have my old veterinarian give me a good reference.  On Feb 13th,  I drove the 4 or 5 hours one way down to Springfield, MO to look at him, fill out the paperwork, pay the fee, etc...etc...to complete the "adoption".

Sooo...I have no idea if he would actually be allowed to compete considering he didn't come with any papers/is not AKC registered. And he'll be getting neutered soon.

I guess he is about 5 to 6 months old, and probably close to 50 pounds now.  I have him...errr...me enrolled in a puppy obedience class through PetSmart.  We meet once a week for 6 weeks.

And I gotta tell you, there is just something about a dog trainer's personality or vibe that they put out  that just makes a dog pay attention, respond, and learn.  It is amazing to watch.

I don't have any hunting land, and I don't know anybody that has any hunting or farmland, but yeah, ideally I would like to have him trained well enough to take him out to the field and have him not embarass me.

I'm not really a shotgun'er either. 

The other dog I had before (1995-2005) was a Vizsla that I also picked up at a shelter.

for those following along at home, if you're looking for a particular breed of dog (or cat or horse...whatever) then you can go to www.petfinder.com ....register, login and have it set up so that you get email updates when a particular breed puppy, or even adult dog becomes available in your area.

Best advice I can give you is to get the NAVDA Green Book. Its about the best common sense bird dog training book going (its cheap too, a xerox spiral bound special). I never did trials seriously, but at least in Virginia, they didn't care about pedigree, just getting participants. I had a half Brit, half pointer and no one said me nay. Anyway, good luck with the little guy, and do buy the book. You won't regret it. (google NAVDA for ordering info). If you want a pro trainer try Jarret Thompsom at Old South Pointer Farms in Rosankey Tx., or Clarence Gambel at Great Basin Kennels in LV Nv. They are both amazing bird dog guys. FWIW.
FQ13
FQ13

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 08:21:25 AM »
Had a friend who was much enamoured of weimers.  He claimed they were puppy-stupid until they turned 1 1/2 years old.  Then, as if by magic, they turned into Advanced Placement Students.  He said the trick is living through that first 18 months without losing your mind or taking the dog to the pound. 

Don't know how true that is, but he had a brace of 4 on leashes when he told me.  When he stopped to talk, two of 'em properly sat just behind him.  The other two struggled and strained at their leashes.  He said, "Guess which two are just a year old."

Still, he told me he'd never have any other breed.  Says sum'pin.  And your boy is really a good lookin' pup.  Enjoy him.
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 05:38:56 PM »
thanks for all the input/advice fellas!

I have been kicking around the idea to reload the 7.62X39mm Russian.  Then the idea hit me that I should look into getting some more mags.

Pffftt!!!!

I might as well have been asking for the Holy Grail or hen's teeth.

I guess C Products went out of business...kinda...sorta    ???

I thought there was one guy on gunbroker selling 5 of the AR 7.62X39, 30 round mags.  I called up the store and the guy who answered the phone said nope those were .223 mags.

Uggh...HUH!  ERR!!!  I know my eyes weren't deceiving me.  The gunbroker ad specifically said 7.62X39 C-products mags for the AR.

So with all my calling around one place said that they expect C products to start shipping those mags again come June 1st.

Which made me scratch my head some more.

anywhooo... I picked up an Argon/CO2 bottle today for my welder.  And I guess tomorrow I will pick up some steel.  from the cast boolits forum, there are some guys there jones'ing for the Mark III version of my ingot moulds.

I guess if C products doesn't come through on June 1st, why! heck!  I might look into making my own mags. 

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 05:46:33 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention one of the reasons why I came back here.

I was looking for a thread on the ATF's "Operation Gunwalker/Gunrunner" scandal.

I am surprised nothing has been pinned or stickey'ed yet.

I did look in the Politics and RKBA section and I didn't see anything there either.

weird!
 ???

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 08:48:51 PM »
Welcome back Tyler. That's a beautiful dog. What have you missed? Everything.  ;)
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk