Author Topic: A question for the Glockophiles  (Read 16429 times)

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A question for the Glockophiles
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2011, 12:55:30 PM »
Neither of my Glocks bulge the case on firing that my calipers can find

Glocks have an unsupported chamber. The cases will bulge. It's a cumulative effect.  You can usually get 2 or 3 reloads (depending on the load) before they become too bad.

A lot of the shooters take the brass that has already been loaded a few times to shoot at matches. That way they can leave it lay and they really aren't losing anything. Gives brass scroungers like me a headache.  ;D
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2011, 01:11:01 PM »
Glocks have an unsupported chamber. The cases will bulge. It's a cumulative effect.  You can usually get 2 or 3 reloads (depending on the load) before they become too bad.

A lot of the shooters take the brass that has already been loaded a few times to shoot at matches. That way they can leave it lay and they really aren't losing anything. Gives brass scroungers like me a headache.  ;D

Many aftermarket replacement barrels for Glock pistols eliminate that problem.  They also deal with lead fouling better than the factory barrel.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2011, 01:42:38 PM »
Many aftermarket replacement barrels for Glock pistols eliminate that problem.  They also deal with lead fouling better than the factory barrel.

That's one of the things that bothers me about glocks. Just about everyone I know has replaced the barrel. Why don't they just make them with conventional rifling or make it available as an option from the factory?

I pick on glocks but don't have any real problem with them. They are a decent bargain until you factor in the cost of a $70-200 replacement barrel and new trigger.
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
Why would you want to replace either? Five and a half pounds with a two stage break so you know exactly when its going to go bang seems about right on an SD gun. As far as the barrel? What is wrong with it? The bullet comes out, goes where I want it to, and has done so thousands of times on three different 9mm Glocks. To me, a guy who modifies a Glock's trigger or barrel is either running in rarefied circles of competition, or is just flat bored with more money than sense. Leave the damn thing alone, it will shoot just fine. If you must fiddle with it, put some tritium sights on it or replace the guide rod with a laser. Beyond that, its just fine out of the box. If you want to buy a gun that you have to mess with five minutes after you take it home, buy a rust bucket. ;D
FQ13

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2011, 11:30:29 AM »
BAC, m25operator is correct. I also have switched out my .40's and went completely .45 with my Glocks. Next one I buy will be in 9mm.

If you have any further questions, have a certified armorer break it down for you and take a look.

There was a warning that went out on some Federal ammo that was too hot but I believe it was in .45 ACP?

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 04:43:07 PM »

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2011, 01:13:05 PM »
FQ, I don't mean to pick...

As does any firearm manufacturer. Check out your owners manual for virtually any gun you own.

There are many Glock shooters that will take your money if you believe that. Bullseye...yeah, probably. Unless it's been tweaked, then all bets are off.
Run and gun? Not if you shoot Glocks a lot.

The best way to get really good at shooting Glocks? Shoot only Glocks.
Get married to that trigger and you can shoot very, very well.

Yes, I dearly love my 1911s, Smith & Wessons and my Sigs...I carry my Glock.  ;)

+1
I do shoot reloads (thousands) through my Glocks and have not experienced any problems. The Lee dies I have fully size the case and I don't run hot loads either.

Why would you want to replace either? Five and a half pounds with a two stage break so you know exactly when its going to go bang seems about right on an SD gun. As far as the barrel? What is wrong with it? The bullet comes out, goes where I want it to, and has done so thousands of times on three different 9mm Glocks.....
FQ13
Pretty much agree with you here, except I would say the Glock platform makes it easy and less expensive to tinker....BTW, just picked up a G35 and a G34 in the past few weeks for USPSA/IDPA.

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
Why would you want to replace either?

Oh I don't know, maybe I don't want to be limited in the type of ammo I shoot or like the crappy stock trigger? In case you haven't noticed, lead bullets are a lot cheaper than jacketed. Buying and reloading lead bullets equals more shooting. Not having to scrap my brass after 2 or 3 reloads equals more shooting.

The bullet comes out, goes where I want it to, and has done so thousands of times on three different 9mm Glocks.

Wow, thousands of times? What did you do the second weekend you had it?  ;)  ;D

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2011, 03:55:10 PM »
Why would you want to replace either? Five and a half pounds with a two stage break so you know exactly when its going to go bang seems about right on an SD gun. As far as the barrel? What is wrong with it? The bullet comes out, goes where I want it to, and has done so thousands of times on three different 9mm Glocks. To me, a guy who modifies a Glock's trigger or barrel is either running in rarefied circles of competition, or is just flat bored with more money than sense. Leave the damn thing alone, it will shoot just fine. If you must fiddle with it, put some tritium sights on it or replace the guide rod with a laser. Beyond that, its just fine out of the box. If you want to buy a gun that you have to mess with five minutes after you take it home, buy a rust bucket. ;D
FQ13

All my Glock barrels are stock, but if you want to shoot lead bullets and keep the fouling to a less totally unacceptable level (any level of lead fouling is unacceptable to me..don't touch lead bullets) or want to reload the 40S&W extensively, you would be interested in a replacement barrel.

My triggers are OEM, but I have stoned the burrs and rough surfaces and have a much smoother trigger pull.  Swapping connectors, I can go from the standard trigger pull to a 2.5 lb pull and back in a few minutes.

It would be nice if Glock did offer the replacement barrels as an option.  Would consider one if it was tennifer treated.

Another reason to equip an aftermarket barrel is that bullets shot through an aftermarket barrel can not be traced to your gun with the OEM barrel with matching serial numbers installed.  If your lifestyle might include a need for that.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

1Buckshot

• Monty Lucht
  • Top Forum Member
  • COMMENCE FIRING
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 09:45:51 AM »
Lead or plated bullets ??? OK ! I have shot thousand of lead bullets through my Glocks with not one problem. As with most shooters I did it for the $ factor. Last year I discovered Montana Gold Bullets. Cost for 1000 rounds  9mm 115gr. jhp $ 107 delivered. I can't buy lead for that price from a manufacturer three miles away. Rant Off
http://www.montanagoldbullet.com/index.html

ronlarimer

• Very Active Forum Member
    • Balloon Goes Up
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2011, 04:42:28 PM »
I shoot my Glocks more than anything else and didn't immediately understand what you were asking because they looked like good solid primer strikes.  So yeah that is completely normal.
Ron

We do not get to pick when the balloon goes up, only how well prepared we are to deal with it.
Balloon Goes Up

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk