Author Topic: Shooting with both eyes Open???  (Read 6450 times)

Ksail101

• Airborne all the way!!!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shooting with both eyes Open???
« on: July 08, 2011, 10:21:54 AM »
I know all the stuff about shooting with both eyes open and under extreme stress you sort of do it not even trying or knowing. But I am having a big problem and was wondering if maybe I just cant or wont ever be able to.

If I look down the sights of my handgun I have to squint my left eye or close it. If I dont I cant see my sights or target effectively. my sight are doubled as in the rear  notch looks like there are two of them and the target is doubled as well. It is very pronounce double vision too. I have to and had to under stress, and my body does it naturally, squint my left eye at the very least to see down the sights.

If I try and focus on front sight, rear sight becomes two, and if I bring my focus back which is bad cause my target gets really in wash my front sight goes double. Either way target is doubled.

I dont think training is ever going to fix this. Anyone else have this issue?
Did we win???

tombogan03884

Re: Shooting with both eyes Open???
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 12:21:36 PM »
How is your vision otherwise. Have you had an eye exam recently.
With hand guns I think the general rule is whatever works best for YOU.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 12:29:09 PM »
I'm the same way, Ksail. I've tried for years to develop "both eyes open sighting" with a handgun. The only way I can do it is with tape over the lens of my left side of my shooting glasses. I have 20/20 vision and have no problem keeping both eyes open when using a scope. Just can't connect the dots with a handgun.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 01:44:38 PM »
Had something similar  happen to me recently.  Went for a vision test and I told the Dr. that sometimes, after working (playing) at the computer for some time, the words on the screen got blurry and I thought it might be eye strain.   

She asked me if it was my eyes crossing and I told her I wasn't aware of it if it was. 

Next time it happened, I closed my left eye and it cleared up.  I figure that if your eye muscles are getting strained, you eyes might not be able to hold position and you end up seeing double....that is what I was seeing....so maybe your problem is similar?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 04:07:06 PM »
I have a problem with binoculars and with red-dot sights.

I can never get Binoc's to merge the image.  I always see two no matter how I set them

With red-dots, I see every image on every surface, so I end up seeing the main dot and several smaller ones around it.

No problem with regular open sights or fiber-optic on pistol or rifle.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:05:36 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 08:03:39 PM »
Here is my (worth less than .02) advice.  Take both hands and focus on a corner in the room where the wall meets the ceiling. Make a frame with your hands, both thumbs touching, palms up and out (classic silly directors frame). With both eyes open, center the corner. Now open and close each eye. You will find that with one eye, the dominant, your center will stay the same. With the other, the weak eye, it will shift. Now, pick up a pistol. Aim it at that corner where the wall meets the ceiling with both eyes open. Close your weak eye. Guess where you are pointing? Your eyes automatically tend to compensate. If you closed your dominant eye, you would seem to be aiming several inches left or right, but you aren't. If you fire, you'll find that you hit where the dominant eye pointed. The dominant eye leads where we place our hands and gun. Try that exercise 5 times and you'll see it works. Just my .02.
FQ13

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 12:18:44 AM »
It sounds like Ksail may have a cross dominance issue.
It comes up in shotgun game discussions a lot.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

david86440

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 12:27:05 AM »
It sounds like Ksail may have a cross dominance issue.
It comes up in shotgun game discussions a lot.

I thought that meant ......sometimes your on top, and other times your the bottom.

Ksail101

• Airborne all the way!!!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 08:48:36 AM »
Sorry I got busy at work lastnight and didnt get to reply. I do where glasses for astigmatism. But from what I was told that just means I eyes dont focus correctly do to the the shape of my eyes lens. Ill def try Fights thoughts and see what happens.

It just sucks that I can look down a pistol with both eyes wide open and see anything but double. Maybe over time this will correct. I did not seem to be hampered by this problem at all when I was over seas and its more me focusing on the problem at the range. So I trust myself if something should happen that I can effectively end the problem its just I will either be shooting with one eye open or one squinted.
Did we win???

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 09:05:03 AM »
I'm right handed and left eye dominant. It makes things a bit trickier, and I occasionally have a similar problem.  I would check to see how it is like yours, but China made me leave my guns at home.  However, I have practiced and my eyes seem to know to switch when I'm holding a pistol.  Good luck with it; I hope you figure something out.

Here is my (worth less than .02) advice.  Take both hands and focus on a corner in the room where the wall meets the ceiling. Make a frame with your hands, both thumbs touching, palms up and out (classic silly directors frame). With both eyes open, center the corner. Now open and close each eye. You will find that with one eye, the dominant, your center will stay the same. With the other, the weak eye, it will shift. Now, pick up a pistol. Aim it at that corner where the wall meets the ceiling with both eyes open. Close your weak eye. Guess where you are pointing? Your eyes automatically tend to compensate. If you closed your dominant eye, you would seem to be aiming several inches left or right, but you aren't. If you fire, you'll find that you hit where the dominant eye pointed. The dominant eye leads where we place our hands and gun. Try that exercise 5 times and you'll see it works. Just my .02.
FQ13

I would like to add one more technique to that.  Like FQ suggests, find a small object and frame it with both hands extended out in front of your face.  Make the hole in your hands just big enough to focus on the object.  Slowly bring your hands back towards your face while focusing on the object.  The hole will line up with your dominant eye.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk