Poll

Should Congress Have term limits. Say one 8 year term for both houses with elections for half of each house every four years.

Yes
7 (50%)
No
3 (21.4%)
Longer Term
1 (7.1%)
Shorter Term
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Term Limits  (Read 3967 times)

1Buckshot

• Monty Lucht
  • Top Forum Member
  • COMMENCE FIRING
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Term Limits
« on: July 27, 2011, 11:01:36 AM »
I know this will never happen because Congress is the only ones that could vote on it .We all know that would never happen :'(

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Term Limits
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 11:20:21 AM »
I voted for shorter term limits although I am "philosophically" opposed to them, preferring, instead, for the voters to carry the responsibility of keeping good ones and dumping bad ones.

As Tom B. has had opportunity to point out on so many occasions, that simply ain't gonna happen until we come up with a reality/game show that highlights the best qualities of a good politician.  Of course, with Hollywood running the programming, "good" politicians would be just the ones we need to lynch.

So, toss out the baby with the bath water and we will be better off keeping these scum bags from getting established.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:32:13 AM »
I voted for longer terms.  I think the first term is spent learning how to play the game, so the next two could be spend getting some work done (yeah, yeah, I know!).

Here's my problem with term limits:  If the terms are too short then the actual power of the office is shifted down to the aids and managers (who are not elected) that seem to stay on forever, moving from office to office.  While newly elected congress critters do bring some of their own staff with them they also augment it with "lifers" that know the ropes.  Too much of that crap goes on the way it is now.

Still, holding elected office should not be a career.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:36:31 AM »
I used to hate the idea with a fiery passion. Not only is it Unconstitutional, but anti-democratic. After all, we have term limits. Its two years for a Congressman and six for a Senator. At that point its up to the voters. Ahh, youth..... :-\. Now, I am so fed up with the money machine that breeds a 95% reelection rate in normal years that I do think term limits are a good idea. Sadly, they will require a Constitutional amendment.
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 12:34:43 PM »
I voted NO.
Not because I oppose term limits, I think it's a good idea.
But because I disagree with "Say one 8 year term for both houses with elections for half of each house every four years".
The constitution specifies term lengths and frequency of elections. I go along with  a total of 12 years, that's 3 for one house and 2 for the other, or just 2 terms, regardless of length.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:17:44 AM »

Pecos Bill

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 09:05:12 PM »
We've got term limits now, we just can't get the fools to vote the "gentlemen and ladies" OUT of office.

Pecos
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress, but I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 09:28:42 PM »
We've got term limits now, we just can't get the fools to vote the "gentlemen and ladies" OUT of office.

Pecos

What "gentlemen and ladies" ?
I thought we were talking about politicians.   ???

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 07:31:44 AM »
We live in a technological age so we could try this.

Each member of Congress is fitted with an explosive collar the day they assume office.

An ongoing Approval Survey is continuously by a neutral agency, say the NRA...ok...so they can't have the job.

When your approval rating falls below a certain, to be determined, % (maybe 60%?), the collar gives a beep and a slight tingle to the wearer.

Each day the rating is below the set %, you receive the beep and tingle as a reminder.

After a few weeks (number to be determined) of ratings below the %, the collar explodes and a special election is held.

The office holder can resign and have the collar removed at any time.

As an option, the voting could be done on a weekly Television show. where the contestants Congress-members can explain their performance.

At the end of the show, the results are tallied and signals sent to the collars.  

Should a collar be instructed to explode, it will first relay it's location so the mess can be cleaned up with as little additional  burden to the citizens as possible.

Edited as an after thought.

This will provide a popular vote on how the citizens "like" the member.  Perhaps votes of those in the members state/voting region will count extra...maybe 2 instead of 1.  This will allow some local support without taking away the necessity on severing the country.

Additionally. a Constitutional Judging Panel could be in place.  3 members strict, conservative, interruption, 3 members liberal interruption, and 3 members a neutral, or "on the fence" interruption.   If this panel rules that you have violated the Constitution, it overrides the popular vote and you fail.    .....  zzzzzzttt...booom

You must act within the Constitution before pleasing the electorate is even considered.   

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

1Buckshot

• Monty Lucht
  • Top Forum Member
  • COMMENCE FIRING
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 08:57:53 AM »
+101
Finally a new reality show this fool country can participate in and do some good with. ;D

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 09:28:14 AM »
+101
Finally a new reality show this fool country can participate in and do some good with. ;D

You are talking about the same fool country that elected these clowns to begin with. They are all to squeamish to push the button. Ergo, nothing changes. 
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk