Author Topic: Piston Operated AR's---Information Request  (Read 4494 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
Piston Operated AR's---Information Request
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:26:50 PM »
OK...I'm tired of cleaning up behind my Bushmasters after using a supressor.  Looking for any information/recommendations on piston operated (?like AK?) AR's in 5.56.  I think Barrett makes one, as does ZM and Sig..any others or corrections to my name mangling?

Thanks,
Ken
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Piston Operated AR's---Information Request
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 04:23:27 PM »
Actually, there's a HUGE list of piston ARs out or about to come out.  I'm looking this way also, but in .308, so my list is shorter.
You're missing:
HK 416
FN SCAR
Magpul/ Bushmaster Masada
POF
LWRC
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 04:33:58 PM »
Robinson Arms XCR

Which you can actually get right now compared to some of the others listed.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 06:28:45 PM »
Anyone know of a piston upper in 6.8 Rem SPC?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 08:35:13 PM »
I found this.  Might be a good start for what you are looking for.

http://www.talonarms.com/talonarms/index.php?cPath=319&main_page=index
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:57:23 AM »

Long Armed Devil

• Forum Member
  • Think... then speak
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 03:04:11 PM »
I'm looking at the Bushmaster ACR(masada) in 556.  It seems to be the next step in evolution on the AR platform.  I also think that most of the other AR makers will have one of their own in the near future.  Don't know of any other makers of Piston ARs that have not already been mentioned.  

Bender

• Forum Member
  • Behold... the Internet
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 08:35:33 AM »
Bushmaster is offering an piston kit for the AR for about 400 bucks. If you want to convert your current AR without spending the big bucks on a full upper or a new rifle...  8) Of couse this is a good excuse to get a new rifle...  ;D

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 05:30:07 PM »
Pathfinder,
just about everyone listed above is doing a piston upper in 6.8spc in addition to .223.  I KNOW that Masada, POF, LWRC are.  6.8spc ammo is expensive.  You may want to consider 6.5 grendel.  Same power as 308 out to 800yds., and ammo can be had for .50/round.
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 06:49:23 PM »
Pathfinder,
just about everyone listed above is doing a piston upper in 6.8spc in addition to .223.  I KNOW that Masada, POF, LWRC are.  6.8spc ammo is expensive.  You may want to consider 6.5 grendel.  Same power as 308 out to 800yds., and ammo can be had for .50/round.

You betch'a it's expensive, I was floored when I found out it was running a buck a round. Got me wondering where to set up the Dillon 550B in the new place here, and the lower level of the house ain't even finished yet.

There was a big discussion some time back here about the Grendel vs. Rem 6.8, and my perception was that the 6.8 had the better ballistics. Back to the drawing board (aka more research) I guess.

Besides, I'm still finishing up the lower - need a good replacement trigger group, maybe one of those Timney's I see on sale every so often.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 03:49:33 PM »
There was a big discussion some time back here about the Grendel vs. Rem 6.8, and my perception was that the 6.8 had the better ballistics. Back to the drawing board (aka more research) I guess.

According to a table on Wikipedia, 6.5G has better energy.  I was, however, wrong about it being better than 308.  It shoots flatter than 308, but doesn't have more energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:AssaultRifleCartridgeComparisonChart.PNG

The chart is a little strange as it sets one of the 6.5G rounds as 100%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5_mm_Grendel

Overload in Colorado

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk