Poll

Did the Obama administration set a dangerous precedent by targeting US  citizen Alawi

No the Constitution only applies to people we approve of
1 (5.6%)
Yes,they have already reffered to veterans, gun owners, and conservitives as terrorists, this shows they are willing to start killing us too.
17 (94.4%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Assasinating US Citizens  (Read 12366 times)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
Re: Assasinating US Citizens
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2011, 05:37:28 PM »
By assigning the title of terrorist, and calling for Al Awlaki's murder, the prez overstepped his lawful authority as commander in chief.  It's as simple as that. 

Oh, like that's never happened before!!! [/sarcasm]

Bogan could be next in line for assassination.  Crusader Rabbit could be next.  Haz could certainly be on the list.  Almost any of us on this board could likely qualify for assassination since we are (for the most part) freedom loving gun toters who dislike intrusive government and who have already been called terrorists by our own government. TAB probably wouldn't make the list. (IMHO)

So, what am I, chopped liver? ? ? Remember, I want the Mussolini treatment for damn near ever inhabitant in the DC area who even breathes the word "Federal". Damn, what does a guy have to do to get on a list around here, huh?  >:(

As for the rest, I am pleased the effer is dead, but yes, the Constitution matters in this. The line has been breached, and most likely not for the first time, as much as I would love to hang that label on bho. It is now a simple matter to keep killing US citizens abroad, and it makes crossing the US territorial limits even easier. Bad precedent. Very bad.

If he comes at you with a gun, then drop his sorry ass, and invoke the SSS rule. Dropping a missile on him from 5000 feet as he is driving along a road is not Constitutional. If he is planning something, then follow him and drop him as he prepares to act.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2011, 05:58:13 PM »
I understand this is a "hot topic", and we move forward from here.

It is a shame Congressman Dent's Resolution to have Alwaki's citizenship stripped failed in sub-committee. This scumbag has been on the kill or capture list for over a year, and no one said crap until the order was actually completed.

Yes, the gov't actually accomplished something it set out to do.

Would a resolution stripping him of citizenship mattered? Does the fact he renounced his citizenship matter? This terrorist gave up any protections he was given by the 14th Amendment. Does that matter?

Either way, I wonder what Washington was planning when he sent 12,000 troops to Pennsylvania to crush the Whiskey Rebellion.

To "arrest them" and provide quarter? After Neville was shot, Americans targeted Americans, and folks died. The country was not going to stand for treasonous acts, and the Insurrection collapsed.

To conclude,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/aulaqi-killing-reignites-debate-on-limits-of-executive-power/2011/09/30/gIQAx1bUAL_print.html

The Justice Department wrote a secret memorandum authorizing the lethal targeting of Anwar al-Aulaqi, the American-born radical cleric who was killed by a U.S. drone strike Friday, according to administration officials.

The document was produced following a review of the legal issues raised by striking a U.S. citizen and involved senior lawyers from across the administration. There was no dissent about the legality of killing Aulaqi, the officials said.

“What constitutes due process in this case is a due process in war,” said one of the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss closely held deliberations within the administration.

The administration has faced a legal challenge and public criticism for targeting Aulaqi, who was born in New Mexico, because of constitutional protections afforded U.S. citizens. The memorandum may represent an attempt to resolve, at least internally, a legal debate over whether a president can order the killing of U.S. citizens overseas as a counterterrorism measure.

The operation to kill Aulaqi involved CIA and military assets under CIA control. A former senior intelligence official said that the CIA would not have killed an American without such a written opinion.

A second American killed in Friday’s attack was Samir Khan, a driving force behind Inspire, the English-language magazine produced by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula. An administration official said the CIA did not know Khan was with Aulaqi, but they also considered Khan a belligerent whose presence near the target would not have stopped the attack.

The circumstances of Khan’s death were reminiscent of a 2002 U.S. drone strike in Yemen that targeted Abu Ali al-Harithi, a Yemeni al-Qaeda operative accused of planning the 2000 attack on the USS Cole. That strike also killed a U.S. citizen who the CIA knew was in Harithi’s vehicle but who was a target of the attack.

The Obama administration has spoken in broad terms about its authority to use military and paramilitary force against al-Qaeda and associated forces beyond “hot,” or traditional, battlefields such as Iraq or Afghanistan. Officials said that certain belligerents aren’t shielded because of their citizenship.

“As a general matter, it would be entirely lawful for the United States to target high-level leaders of enemy forces, regardless of their nationality, who are plotting to kill Americans both under the authority provided by Congress in its use of military force in the armed conflict with al-Qaeda, the Taliban, and associated forces as well as established international law that recognizes our right of self-defense,” an administration official said in a statement Friday.

President Obama and various administration officials referred to Aulaqi publicly for the first time Friday as the “external operations” chief for al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, a label that may be intended to underscore his status as an operational leader who posed an imminent threat.

A Justice Department spokeswoman declined to comment. The administration officials refused to disclose the exact legal analysis used to authorize targeting Aulaqi, or how they considered any Fifth Amendment right to due process.

Robert Chesney, a law professor at the University of Texas at Austin who specializes in national security law, said the government likely reviewed Aulaqi’s constitutional rights, but concluded that he was an imminent threat and was deliberately hiding in a place where neither the United States nor Yemen could realistically capture him.

Last year, the Obama administration invoked the state secrets privilege to argue successfully for the dismissal of a lawsuit brought in U.S. District Court in Washington by Aulaqi’s father, Nasser, seeking to block the targeting of his son. Judge John Bates found that in Aulaqi’s case, targeting was a “political question” to be decided by the executive branch.

The decision to place Aulaqi on a capture or kill list was made in early 2010, after intelligence officials concluded that he played a direct role in the plot to blow up a jet over Detroit and had become an operational figure within al-Qaeda’s affiliate in Yemen.

“If you are a dual national high in the Japanese operational group responsible for Pearl Harbor, you’re not exempt, and neither was” Aulaqi, the administration official said.

The American Civil Liberties Union and the Center for Constitutional Rights argued on behalf of Aulaqi’s father last year that there is no “battlefield” in Yemen and that the administration should be forced to articulate publicly its legal standards for killing any citizen outside the United States who is suspected of terrorism.

Otherwise, the groups argued, such a killing would amount to an extrajudicial execution and would violate U.S. and international law.

“International human rights law dictates that you can’t unilaterally target someone and kill someone without that person posing an imminent threat to security interests,” said Vince Warren, executive director of the Center for Constitutional Rights. “The information that we have, from the government’s own press releases, is that he is somehow loosely connected, but there is no specific evidence of things he actualized that would meet the legal threshold for making this killing justifiable as a matter of human rights law.”

ACLU lawyer Ben Wizner said that Aulaqi had been targeted for nearly two years and that the government would appear to have a very elastic definition of imminent threat.

The former senior intelligence official said the CIA did reviews every six months to ensure that those targeted for possible killing remained threats as defined by law and presidential findings.

Everyone knows I am not in any way in support of this POTUS. If this leads to his impeachment, so be it. The law in this "new type of war", with no set boundaries, no uniformed enemy, too many rules of engagement. Is a cluster f***.

The Congress needs to enact legislation that defines this. As Alwaki meets the enemy combatant definition, but it is a slippery slope to target US citizens, even if they renounce it. This terrorist was a danger to this country. His track record upholds this.

So that's my position, and we'll go from there. There are two sides of the issue and I guess I'm on the other than you Tom.

That's it.

tw

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2011, 09:20:32 PM »
Stripping him of his citizenship is just as bad.
TW, you just don't get it, this isn't an issue where we can "agree to disagree".
You either support the Constitution or you approve actions even the Nazi's shied from.
Actions that could very well bite you on the azz.

http://www.usconstitution.net/declar.html#Intro

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

What part of that don't you get ?

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2011, 09:37:28 PM »
All of this brings up a few things. 

First, he was born to Yemeni parents here in the US.  The father was attending school here.  Birth without birthright should be the norm if both parents are foreign citizens.  That would cost Dems votes though.  If at least one parent is not a citizen then being born here should not provide citizenship.  Automatic citizenship due to birth is something that needs to be changed if the parents are foreign nationals.

Next, he had dual citizenship.  Yemeni and US.  I think that to be a US citizen you should be only a US citizen.  You either are or are not.  Someone who gains a citizenship in addition to US citizenship should, by due process, lose his US citizenship.  If you become a US citizen from another nation you should renounce that citizenship to become a US citizen.  I severly pissed off a lawyer where I used to work because he thought it was chic to have dual citizenship....I told him he was a traitor and should be deported.

He was by definition a US citizen and should not have been assasinated.  If he was killed on the battlefield in a conflict or while engaged in criminal activity or by threatening the life of someone in the presence of law enforcement that would be different.  Calculated elimination using assasination by the government is a crime. 

Randy Weaver's son and wife would probably agree with us if they were alive.  By the way...who went to jail for that?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2011, 10:07:22 PM »
At some point, we as a country have to decide how imminent a threat is. This terrorist was a threat, and a unrelenting one.

If I go to Canada and threaten life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness to folks in the US, and hold up in an area that does not warrant a capture scenario....

Than what? Read me my Miranda rights? We are dealing with a scumbag, enabler of the worst kind.

Don"t placate the Nazi's offering a point of justification for their actions. WTF does that have to do with this?

This douchebag wanted you dead. Our way of life eradicated. Women and children slaughtered for Allah. What are you missing?

Target acquired.
Request permission to fire.
Permission granted.
Fire.
Target destroyed.

Sounds like due process this terrorist deserved.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 02:55:11 PM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1072
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2011, 10:16:28 PM »
I may be over-simplifying this, but it was basically no different (in my mind) than an old-fashioned lynching (with the gubmint acting as the lynch mob). He needed killin' don't cut it.

I'll take 'Circumventing the US Constitution for $200, please Alex.'

Who's next?
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2011, 10:57:40 PM »
<snip>
I'll take 'Circumventing the US Constitution for $200, please Alex.'

Who's next?

It's all in who gets to interpret who a terrorist is and who has the power.  Big Sis has already made it clear patriotic Americans who own guns and former military are terrorists waiting to happen.

Might be that you are next.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

dipisc

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2011, 09:07:55 AM »
Hi;

This guy was actively trying to kill Americans for some years now. He was no different than a Bank Robber who when during a shoot out with Police was taken out. If he had been captured and interrogated - he may have given some good Intel  But  time did not give us a chance to handcuff him - so I believe it was better to take him out.  No different than suicide by cop scenrio. Dont make a Saint out of this guy or his "rights", He got some good old Western Justice - Dead or Alive !

tombogan03884

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2011, 09:28:06 AM »
Hi;

This guy was actively trying to kill Americans for some years now. He was no different than a Bank Robber who when during a shoot out with Police was taken out. If he had been captured and interrogated - he may have given some good Intel  But  time did not give us a chance to handcuff him - so I believe it was better to take him out.  No different than suicide by cop scenrio. Dont make a Saint out of this guy or his "rights", He got some good old Western Justice - Dead or Alive !

I've granted right along that this guy was a scumbag.
But before you go saying "screw his rights" you better remember that DHS considers you, as a gun owner to also be a potential terrorist.
Is it OK for them to decide you need a missile up your ass.
This is exactly the same type of thing the Founding Fathers rebelled against, enforcement or of laws at the whim of your betters.
Every one of the  anti Hitler conspirators that were executed were condemned in accordance with Nazi law, and each one recievd a legally binding trial.
Every dissident the Soviet union executed, imprisoned, or placed in a mental institute was legally sentenced at trial in accordance with Soviet law .
American law says no one can be punished with out a trial. Where was this guys trial ?

Timothy

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2011, 09:31:41 AM »
For a guy my size, 6'1" and about 260# I've got a little ass...

They might need a larger target!

;D ;D

There have been a few copters flying around recently.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk