Author Topic: What About Our Favorite Scatter Guns ?  (Read 10347 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What About Our Favorite Scatter Guns ?
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 06:31:33 PM »
For me, unless its an SD weapon, shotguns have two barrels, preferably side by side. I have a Merkel Model 8 in 12 gauge that will handle steel and 3" mag loads and a Parker 20 gauge VH for dove and quail. I have no desire for anything else. Hunting to me is half about tradition and aesthetics, and frankly the feel of one of these puppies, with a straight stock and splinter forend, beautifully balanced? It's worth a lot more to me than a third shot. And BTW, I can get the second shot off faster than with an auto loader since you aren't waiting for the bolt to cycle. Its all a matter of taste with hunting guns as its just a game and there is no "right" answer, but do yourself a favor and shoot some doubles. You can get a quality one used for the price of a new auto loader like a Benelli. They are a more durable, have zero mechanical issues, and IMHO are just better balanced. YMMV, but you really will be cheating yourself if you don't shoot a couple before you buy.
FQ13

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 06:42:02 PM »
I have always wanted a Remington 1187. I like autoloaders but have never owned one. I miss my Benelli Super Nova. Heck of a great shotgun. But I love my Remington 870's. I have one in 12 and one in 20 for my sons. Reliable, accurate and built to last.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 11:56:47 AM »
 I shoot a couple of rounds of sporting clays and a half dozen rounds of 5 stand and skeet a year (shot the Chevy Truck Sportsmans Team Challenge for 4 years when here in Fla) with my Browning Citori GTI... shot an 1100/1187 for many years in for the STC and skeet and local 3 gun... but when I got serious about 3 gun after shooting a couple of Kyle Lamb's North Carolina Tactical matches, my go to gun is a Benelli M1S90   21", field with a 8shot Briley tube....do not put a side saddle on it, keep it wet, and an ISMI spring 13" over installed length of tube, and you will not be sorry....If I were limited to one, it would be the Benelli

21" 870 with a SureFire light for the home

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 12:06:05 PM »
I shoot a couple of rounds of sporting clays and a half dozen rounds of 5 stand and skeet a year (shot the Chevy Truck Sportsmans Team Challenge for 4 years when here in Fla) with my Browning Citori GTI... shot an 1100/1187 for many years in for the STC and skeet and local 3 gun... but when I got serious about 3 gun after shooting a couple of Kyle Lamb's North Carolina Tactical matches, my go to gun is a Benelli M1S90   21", field with a 8shot Briley tube....do not put a side saddle on it, keep it wet, and an ISMI spring 13" over installed length of tube, and you will not be sorry....If I were limited to one, it would be the Benelli

21" 870 with a SureFire light for the home
Quick question. Why is the "one" shotgun, that you need to keep wet, not the one you use for the home? To me, the one you keep by your bedside is the "one". But then again, I've always been a one dog and one woman sort of guy as well. 8)
FQ13

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 02:13:02 PM »
FQ13... I was referring to the Benelli... being from Florida, my usual gun lube is Mercury Outboard 2 stroke racing oil, as it dissipates carbon very well....the first Ft Benning match, the morning temps were 26F and we left the shotgun ammo in the car.. it cold soaked over night... the 1100 turned into a bolt action untill it got warmed up... switched to the Benelli the second year, and switched to Inox lube last year, and with 28F temps ran like a champ... with  help from Mr. Benny Hill got the magazine spring length sorted out (which is probably the most overlooked and essential for proper working of any autoloader, as it provides inertia to the shell to operate the lift gate....

FQ13... sorry, misread your question after I posted the above...my 870 gets lube on the action bars, but I don't overlube the bolt carrier rails like I do the autoloaders...I shoot it a couple of local 3 gun matches a year, just to keep my hand in... my bedside pistol is a G23 with night sights...I did change from a 1911 to a Glock for competition as it is what I carry....

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:40:38 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk