Author Topic: X-Caliber ammo adapter  (Read 8186 times)

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
X-Caliber ammo adapter
« on: March 27, 2013, 07:36:39 PM »
Thought this was way cool

http://www.guns.com/2013/03/27/x-caliber-ammo-adapter-set-for-shotguns/

The X-Caliber Shotgun Gauge Adapter system is a set of inserts for break-action 12-gauge shotguns that allows you to fire just about all of the most popular cartridges in production, from .22 Long Rifle up to .308 Winchester.

It’s an 8-piece set of drop-in adapters that measure seven inches long each, and it comes with a carrying case. It’s got to be one of the most practical survivalist piece of kit we’ve seen in a long time. The adapters are rifled for accuracy.

Development of the X-Caliber system started late last year and now the first batch of pre-orders is coming in. Each set comes with an adapter for .22 Short and Long Rifle, .38 Special and .357 Magnum, 9mm, 45 ACP, .410 bore and .45 Long Colt, .223 Remington, 7.62×39mm and .308 Winchester.

This adds a huge amount of flexibility to your 12-gauge shotgun, which is already arguably the most versatile firearm in the world. Combined with this kit, that’s undoubtable.

Sure, it’s not as good as having a rifle chambered in .223 and it’s a lot bulkier than a .357 revolver, but it takes up a lot less space than ten guns and costs less, too. Each X-Caliber kit runs $450 and delivery times can be as long as two months, but for the prepper-minded, that’s got to be worth the wait.

“The adapters are easily stored in a heavy duty canvas case complete with MOLLE-compatible straps on the backside for easy mounting on your bug out pack. The X Caliber truly gives you options. You choose the right caliber for the task at hand. The X Caliber equals ten guns for the price of one, saving you money, and reducing weight in your pack. X Caliber gives you ten guns for the price of one, and the survival value … is priceless.”

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: X-Caliber ammo adapter
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 01:05:29 AM »
No way I would shoot a rifle or higher pressure pistol round out of that.  Shot guns are not really built to take that.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 07:32:13 AM »
Bur would not the insert be the item to contain the pressure?
(I ask as I don't know...)

The shotgun just being the device to hold the insert?

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 08:44:01 AM »
I think it's a  alternative to owning all those calibers as an emergency backup.  I'm missing two of those calibers.

Of course just havering lots of 12gauge ammo would be another alternative. 

Going to store tomorrow.  Might buy another case.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 10:14:52 AM »
EVen if the insert can hold the presure, what about the bolt face, and the barrel( flame cutting a 8" 30.06 is going to be a huge fireball)   then there is the whole what if it gets stuck deal.    i would pass.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:53:27 PM »

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 08:17:38 PM »
TAB has a good point, while the inserts themselves are,  probably, capable of containing the new round's pressure the breech face of many shotguns is rather thin (as that is all that is required for shotgun cartridges). Also the striker aperture in a shotgun's breech face is usually larger, vis a vis the diameter of the striker, than that of a rifle bolt. I'd feel fine shooting the pistol cartridge units but when you get up to .308 pressures.........I dunno!  ???
Best Wishes, Mike.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 09:32:41 PM »
I think it's less of an issue than it may seem.
After all, there are people building very nice double rifles on shotgun actions .

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 12:16:18 AM »
Tom not all guns are made the same.  What is perfectly safe in one, is not in another.   shot guns run every thing from twisted steal barrels to built like a tank.    think of shooting a 38+p in alot of guns its fine, in some. Well stand back.   chambers are the same way.   the range from 2.5" to over 3.5" .  Thats just 12 ga.  Some are tight, some are lose.   I won't even get started with how you would aim such a weapon.  Or what if it gets stuck in the chamber.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk