Author Topic: Cops, Traffic stops, and CHL  (Read 2301 times)

MrAnderson

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cops, Traffic stops, and CHL
« on: November 11, 2011, 03:47:09 PM »
What I didn't like about the stop Michael discussed in Episode 237 was that, as soon as Michael informed the officer he was a licensed CCW holder and had a gun, the office started treating him like he was some kind of culprit!  ("keep your hands on the steering wheel, use your left had to reach into your left rear pocket, etc., etc.)  As if Michael were a threat! :(  I suspect that, if the state law does not require it, Michael had not said anything, the officer would have collected the appropriate driving documents, gone to his vehicle, return and completed the exchange.  There is no reason for the officer to say anything about the CHL, nor do anything about it!

I see the point about being careful, but I don't like the way Michael was treated *after* informing the officer! :(

-Dave
Regards,
Mr.Anderson

JdePietro

• M14 Patterned Protagonist
  • Top Forum Member
  • "Neither Spare nor Dispose"
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cops, Traffic stops, and CHL
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 06:47:44 PM »
I think Michael did a superb job discussing a touchy subject. Personally I side with Michael on this one in every sense of the matter. LEOs do not have a magic personality detector and cannot at a 100 yard glance tell a law abiding citizen from a criminal. While we would like to think that because we offer up some information as a barter to encourage the officer to believe we are good guys it just isn't that easy. The officer for the sake of his life and those the loss would affect, needs to keep a hightened sense of awareness. I have been stopped a few times in my life and in all cases treating the officer with respect and giving him the best sense of cooperation made their day better. I think we as a whole forget that while we need to fight tooth and nail to have our civil liberties recongnized we need to be polite. I find it a good practice to try and put a smile on the faces of everyone I come into contact with and this isn't limted to just those I know.

Now onto the hard stuff. Mr. Bane would it be out of the question for you to tackle the biggest question a new or old armed citizen may have?
What do I do with my firearm while using a public restroom?
How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk