Author Topic: Ready Mag or simple coupler??  (Read 3226 times)

tigerclaw

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ready Mag or simple coupler??
« on: April 07, 2008, 05:31:54 AM »
I finally got a decent set of irons on my 556, and am looking for a last few accesories before I take a break from buying stuff and just enjoy shooting.  Sooo.......I did a search here, the Sig Forum, and TFL forum and couldn't find any comments or reviews/opinions.  What would all of you recommend I spend my money on?

Should I buy the Ready Mag to mount on my receiver, or should I just spend the money on a coupler or two??  The only places I've found the Ready Mag are on airsoft supplies, so if anybody has links to the least expensive retailers, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Ready Mag or simple coupler??
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 10:51:30 AM »
Honestly, you don't need either IMHO. I used to tape mags together myself (one upside down) and discovered that I either had to be very conscious of what I was doing or I ended up with one mag full of dirt and crap, or found the feed-lips damaged. I have a lot of friends who put multiple mags on their weapons and all it does is add weight and bulk to the weapon as well as sticking a mag out to catch on stuff and get damaged. After years of experiments and trying to find a solution I came upon a simple answer, just don't do it.

First, I have 20 to 30 rounds in the weapon, and if that ain't enough then I needed to get the heck out or get my full LBE with it's butt-load of ammo. 

Second, I discovered that I was generally as fast getting a mag out of my hip-pocket and reloading as my buddies were using their redi-mags or jungle-clips or whatever simply because these devices have their own learning curve, yanking a mag out of your pocket and reloading does not, it is no different than reloading from a pouch.

lastly, I discovered that the change in weight and balance of the weapon with an extra mag attached by whatever method made a significant difference in how I handled the weapon, which might impair my operation of it in CQB situations. Given that I have generally used main battle rifles like the M-1A, FN and CETME this is especially true.

I would also mention that the availability of more rounds might (I say might, it depends on your training) effect how you shoot, I've noticed before that having more rounds available tends to make people pay less attention to accuracy than those who know they have limited number of shots. I think the difference in police shootings between when they had revolvers and after they switch to hi-cap semiautos bears this out.

Again, my advice is forget the gadgets and concentrate on good training and weapons handling skills.
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"
(The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety)
Virgil

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 01:39:01 PM »
Excellent advice Warhawke. Used clamps on the two-up,  MP-5, 9mm, mags, but that is a whole different point of balance.
Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 07:21:10 PM »
I finally got a decent set of irons on my 556, and am looking for a last few accesories before I take a break from buying stuff and just enjoy shooting.  Sooo.......I did a search here, the Sig Forum, and TFL forum and couldn't find any comments or reviews/opinions.  What would all of you recommend I spend my money on?

Should I buy the Ready Mag to mount on my receiver, or should I just spend the money on a coupler or two??  The only places I've found the Ready Mag are on airsoft supplies, so if anybody has links to the least expensive retailers, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

In the Ready Mag favor is the ability to put Magpul basepads on and  have a great mono pod in prone. I think that alone is the reason to put Readymags on all AR's
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk