Author Topic: best pistol for IPSC/IDPA and carry!  (Read 18882 times)

AC8Z

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
best pistol for IPSC/IDPA and carry!
« on: April 07, 2008, 06:11:03 PM »
I"m currently shooting berretta 92 and want something easier to carry andsomethingthat I canuse in IPSC/IDPA.  I was looking at the Glock midsize40cal and the Para limited in 40cal....any other ideas?  or which is better?  Thanks!  Don't want to spend more than 1500 bucks though. (wife would kill me).   Jeff

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: best pistol for IPSC/IDPA and carry!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 06:16:44 PM »
depends on what class you want to shoot...

If your looking at the "stock" classes.  I'd look at the M&P. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 10:32:32 PM »
Maybe something in the XD line
A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 07:38:15 AM »
A Glock is pretty tough to beat for all around use, but if you've got a $1,500 limit, I'd buy two!  One for carry AND one for competition! ;D

Erik
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 09:08:27 AM »
If you're used to the Beretta trigger consider the PX4.  Similar enough for your brain to recognize it and smaller than the 92s.

I usually use a G-17 9mm for USPSA Production and IDPA SSP (Carry isn't an issue as I'm one of "those" states, but working on it).  That being said I've thought about the G-35 40SW for those classes and Limited/L-10 withe the possibility of a Storm Lake/Lone Wolf Comped barrel and a couple other parts for an Open gun. 

Since you can never have to many guns the Para is a great choice, and one I'd love to get a few of.  IDPA is DOMINATED by Glocks (mainly G-34s) in almost every class (at least according to the stats from Nationals), but USPSA is heavy on the double stack 1911s in Limited/L-10, and Open, mainly Paras and STI's or variations.  The Glocks and XDs are starting to show up but slowly.  The M&P has pushed hard into the Production class, edging out the XDs slightly.

There's always a single stack 1911 with the right mags for IDPA ESP.CDP and USPSA L-10 and Single Stack

When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:10:22 AM »

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 10:15:42 PM »
Para, Some Kimbers, M+P less than $1500 easy,.. all good choices. ( Love my M+P .40 ).

One could always get the pistol and "tweak" it. Its to appease my,... er,.. the wife's position on "lavish" spending for a trigger job, or spring kit or, feed ramp, sights, etc,.. something that would really make it smoke through the course.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 07:05:42 PM »
Consider the Sig 239.
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 05:48:37 PM »
Posted by: USSA-1 
Insert Quote
A Glock is pretty tough to beat for all around use, but if you've got a $1,500 limit, I'd buy two!  One for carry AND one for competition!

Erik

"Smart man!" And I couldn't agree more. If you like Glock's, the midsize ones would fit your needs. I have a G23 that I use for everything from plinking, to home defense, to concealed carry. Just always keep the barrel clean and don't use high power reloads, unless you change out the barrel with an aftermarket one; and you would be in business. Para's are good, but for more $ and with all the thousands of trouble free rounds with all my Glocks, I would go with Glock. That is me of course. Go with your gut and whatever makes you happy.

SlickRob

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 04:52:13 AM »
M&P's are definitely showing up.  If you go that way try to get one without the magazine disconnect.

But I cast my vote for the XD!  You can buy two, and still have enough for extra mags and ammo.

A just government has nothing to fear from an armed populace!

JoJo

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 08:21:06 PM »
Another vote for the XD.
How can our politicians secure our borders, when they can't secure an intelligent thought?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk